Virginia Tech Massacre, Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS

Likewise, there wasn't a backlash on a society-wide level to Korean immigrants in the wake of the LA riots. I'm guessing that most people understood them defending their stores against the rioters and were sympathetic that they were bearing the brunt of anger and opportunistic mayhem against society/whitey, f.e.

That said, I do not live in those neighborhoods, so I don't know what the situation was like there. Were the rioters holding it against all Korean immigrants that one too many hoodlum had been run off from the local corner grocery? That the corner grocery was charging too high of prices? The analogy seems a little strained, IMO.
    IIRC the backlash against koreans expressed in the 1992 riots related to the shooting of Latasha Harlins by Korean American woman Soon Ja Du. Soon was sentenced to community service shortly before the riots.

We haven't heard what kind of "backlash" specifically the koreans are expecting so I don't know if they are worried about a society wide backlash a more localized sort of backlash or both or what exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
      Exactly, although there were far worse comments posted in the last thread.
      Exactly. MtG comes wading in and puts me under a sustained volley of insults and then blames me for starting it, or some such. Not to mention Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee chiming in on the act as well...

But don't worry, I get this all the time on this forum but I suppose that's the price you pay for being right all the time.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
        sigh . . . .

When I first found out about this killing spree on Monday, I tried to make sense out of the carnage but I still am unable to.
        why is it necessary to make sense of it? I don't care

I haven't watch the video. What would I gain by doing so?

Comment

Anyway, wtf is it with televising Cho's video!!?

No wonder the US has these sorts of things happen all the time - he wanted his sick fame and NBC duly obliged...

Playing that video has IMO encouraged any number of nutters and losers up and down the country into planning their own copycat killings knowing they'll have their moment of infamy to have their say!

This is actually worse than our govt deciding to turn our armed forces into a media circus.

Disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            I haven't watch the video. What would I gain by doing so?
            I refuse to watch it, I don't want to give the killer the posthumous satisfaction!

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

Exactly. MtG comes wading in and puts me under a sustained volley of insults and then blames me for starting it, or some such. Not to mention Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee chiming in on the act as well...

But don't worry, I get this all the time on this forum but I suppose that's the price you pay for being right all the time.
              Awwww, poow widdle woo, being picked on by some meanies, after you post utterly predictable (for you)trolling horse**** about how the parents and students have themselves to blame.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Anyway, wtf is it with televising Cho's video!!?
                It's a weird thing here sometimes referred to as "freedom of the press." A lot of people probably would like to figure out what was on this sicko's mind and what point did he think he was trying to prove.

No wonder the US has these sorts of things happen all the time - he wanted his sick fame and NBC duly obliged...
                Yep, happens every couple of days, I'm sure. Maybe in another few years, some twisted little moron will "prove you right."

If it wasn't being played at all, people (and I'd expect you'd join the troll-train) would claim there was some big cover-up and conspiracy.

Playing that video has IMO encouraged any number of nutters and losers up and down the country into planning their own copycat killings knowing they'll have their moment of infamy to have their say!
                Somehow, I doubt that the nutters and losers planning to go out in a proverbial blaze of glory by taking as many people as possible with them are going to base their decision on the level of news coverage.

"Gee, I won't get that much attention on the news, so I guess I'll have to become normal and give up my paranoid delusions."

Or, "Gee, I'm just a little upset with my teacher, but look at all the attention that guy got - guess I'll record a video, decide to snap and blow twenty people away, then myself, but I never would have thought about it without that video."

Yeah, right.

This is actually worse than our govt deciding to turn our armed forces into a media circus.
                Yes, an isolated school shooting has much more global consequence than providing a domestic and foreign policy diversion to a radical regime intent on developing nuclear weapons. You're absolutely as right on this as you are on everything else. I salute you, my fearless leader.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I stand by everything I say, and gave reasons.

You came along and attacked me personally, as you are now in your own predictable and hypocritical manner. Keep it up!

Comment

I stand by everything I say, and gave reasons.
                    Bully for you. So does Fred Phelps. Anyone can "give reasons" to "justify" what is nothing more than a puerile troll.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                      It's a weird thing here sometimes referred to as "freedom of the press." A lot of people probably would like to figure out what was on this sicko's mind and what point did he think he was trying to prove.

Yep, happens every couple of days, I'm sure. Maybe in another few years, some twisted little moron will "prove you right."

If it wasn't being played at all, people (and I'd expect you'd join the troll-train) would claim there was some big cover-up and conspiracy.

Somehow, I doubt that the nutters and losers planning to go out in a proverbial blaze of glory by taking as many people as possible with them are going to base their decision on the level of news coverage.

"Gee, I won't get that much attention on the news, so I guess I'll have to become normal and give up my paranoid delusions."

Or, "Gee, I'm just a little upset with my teacher, but look at all the attention that guy got - guess I'll record a video, decide to snap and blow twenty people away, then myself, but I never would have thought about it without that video."

Yeah, right.

Yes, an isolated school shooting has much more global consequence than providing a domestic and foreign policy diversion to a radical regime intent on developing nuclear weapons. You're absolutely as right on this as you are on everything else. I salute you, my fearless leader.
                      Hey, you've worked out how to use sarcasm... Wow, only slightly better than the usual trash talking I suppose...

This is just ghoulish journalism IMO, it's given the guy the audience he craved and maybe he will have...

Thanks to you, I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenceless people.
                      ...inspired the next guy to go down to his local gun shop...

Yours is a culture that worships the gun and violence by the gun, all this does is self-perpetuate this state of affairs - but then I'm not surprised that you appear to be utterly incapable of making such an elementary distinction...

Fine. As I say, it's your country!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        As I understood it, the Korean ambassador gave a teary-eyed heartfelt apology to the American people.

I think that many countries are somewhat monolithic in terms of race, language, and culture. They identify closely with expatriots as "representative" of their culture.

On top of that, some oriental cultures have this heavy family honor guilt trip which extends to national honor. An official from Va Tech should accept the "apology" as an expression of sympathy and formally indemnify the corporate guilt.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Bully for you. So does Fred Phelps. Anyone can "give reasons" to "justify" what is nothing more than a puerile troll.
                          Obviously you think that because you cannot understand the bigger picture. That's OK, it is fine to admit your shortcomings without lashing out with crude personal attacks.

Think of this acceptance of your limitations as the beginning of your own healing process...

I forgive you - not that I took it seriously in the first place, because I know you didn't mean what you said.

The fact is, however, that the US is in the state it is because of its anachronistic attitude to guns and the active worship of 'the right to bear arms' in your culture...

People who live in that environment know the risks because they are subjected to these attacks on a regular basis, and yet nothing is done about it.

Not a troll, just a logical statement of the facts.

Comment

Yeah, right.

Hey, you've worked out how to use sarcasm... Wow, only slightly better than the usual trash talking I suppose...

This is just ghoulish journalism IMO, it's given the guy the audience he craved and maybe he will have...

...inspired the next guy to go down to his local gun shop...

Yours is a culture that worships the gun and violence by the gun, all this does is self-perpetuate this state of affairs - but then I'm not surprised that you appear to be utterly incapable of making such an elementary distinction...

Fine. As I say, it's your country!
                            I hope you both will mostly stick to these sort of exchanges represented by this pair of posts. Where the ad hominem plays a merely supporting role.

Comment

Showing that video is like throwing petrol onto the fire, but then far be it for a media station to let responsible behaviour get in the way of a good story!.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                                I hope you both will mostly stick to these sort of exchanges represented by this pair of posts. Where the ad hominem plays a merely supporting role.
                                Hey, "He started it!"

I just replied in the language he could understand. Now that a modicum of civility has crept in to his posts, I am more than happy continue this conversation in a calm and considerate manner.

We'll just see how long he can keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X