Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Didn't you know? Vietnamese people aren't gay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't you know? Vietnamese people aren't gay.

So I went out with an old friend of mine tonight for a few beers and to shoot some pool and he brought his younger brother along. When I say younger I mean WAAAAAYYYYY yonger; as in 12 years younger but the pool hall let him in as long as he didn't try to drink any beer. Any way my friend's brother is a senior in high school and he happens to be gay. Recently he came out to his parents and both of them are in a state of denial about it. They told the poor kid that there is absolutely no possibility that he is gay because "Vietnamese people aren't gay; only Whites and Blacks are gay". Their mother is Catholic and their father Buddhist but their mother has been pushing my friend's brother to go to church and pray to god to rid him of his "confusion". To his credit my friend seems to have accepted his brother's gayness though he kept making jokes that since his younger brother is gay (and so won't have kids) that now their mother is going to really be after him to get married and have babies.

It's hard to believe that in the 21st century some people still believe being gay is some how something people need to be "cured" of or that gayness doesn't happen to certain ethnic groups. Just thought I'd share.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Its still fairly common even in so-called developed countries...like Wales. I've heard that among the Welsh-as-a-first-language communities, there is the view that being gay is an "English problem".
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
      Its still fairly common even in so-called developed countries...like Wales. I've heard that among the Welsh-as-a-first-language communities, there is the view that being gay is an "English problem".
      wtf...

Comment

I bet an English person told you that...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Welsh language communiites are just a little bit insular so its not that surprising.

Don't they all go the "chapel" aswell
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

True, the "Welsh problem" is that related to sheep.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Tell them about Maelgwyn Hir. Gwynned's greatest king, and an enthusiastic friend of Dorothy.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

...and Dafydd Thomas
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Ming! Ming! Stop them, they're being racist!

Comment

going back further, amongst sailors it was always considered 'the english vice.'
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      ...and Dafydd Thomas
                      But he's the only gay in the village, so it's almost correct.
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Tell them about Maelgwyn Hir. Gwynned's greatest king, and an enthusiastic friend of Dorothy.
                        Laz

Have you been watching Life on Mars by any chance
                        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

But he's the only gay in the village, so it's almost correct.
                          Except, at the risk of a PHd, the comedy of the 'only gay in the village' is that he is not the only gay in the village...

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger

Laz

Have you been watching Life on Mars by any chance
                            No- was there something about Maelgwyn in it?
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Strangely enough, I recall wordl-wide research according to which percentage of gay/bi is highest in Australia, and lowest in Vietnam...
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                              X