Mac and PC File Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac and PC File Compatibility

My home computer is getting old and perhaps by the end of the year or early next year I will have to replace it. My office mate swears by Mac computers and I am interested. My new laptop computer, however, is a PC and I regularly transfer files from one computer to the other.
    My question is about that. If I write an .rtf (for example) document on my Windows laptop, would a Mac computer be able to open it with no problems?
    Formerly known as Masuro.
    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

It's not much of an issue at this point, unless you're using a program on Windows that doesn't exist on OS X (and even then there's bootcamp.) .rtf is universal enough that it definitely wouldn't be a problem.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Are not Macs and even Linux based systems PERSONAL ****ING COMPUTERS?
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

NO THEY ARE NOT

Comment

Pardon my ignorance. What should I call a non-Mac computer that runs Windows?
          Formerly known as Masuro.
          The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

A Windows based computer, or an XP computer/Vista Computer, etc. Use your imagination instead of adopting corporate slogans and nerd slang.

God I hate those Apple Mac commercials with a nerdy, Bill Gates like person representing 'PCs' and some trendy ****er representing Macs. Sometimes there is an equally trendy tart representing Linux.

This irritation reminds me of Protestants who refer to themselves as 'Christians' and who refer to those of other denominations as being somehow non-Christian. They will say something like: 'Catholics and Christians differ in their practices...' Well guess what idiot...? Catholics ARE Christians and they were Christians way before Martin Luther was a twinkle in his father's eye.

In short, I hate the binary vision that most people have. Either something is black, or white. Fat, or thin. Capitalist or Communist. Etc, etc. No!! - there is a whole spectrum of shades in between the mental constructs popular opinion holds dear.
            Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

It probably all stems from the concept of the "IBM-Compatible PC" (the largely open, standards-based x86 architecture that both Windows and Linux run natively on) versus the proprietary locked-in (and non-intel) standards that Apple used up until the last couple of years (the IBM PowerPC-based architecture). Indeed, Mac OS is still locked to Apple-built computers despite the move to Intel and x86 computing.

For me, brand names are ok, as is "[name of operating system] Computer". As noted above personal computer refers to basically every computer that sits on a desk or lap and is directly used by a single person at a time (be it running OS/X, Vista, or anything along that line) as opposed to a 'server' that 'serves' other computers

Comment

Bkeela...you need to get laid buddy
                Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Generally speaking, Office-type documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) transport seamlessly between systems (assuming you have MS Office/Mac). I've encountered a few translation/layout bugs - but no data loss - with Excel and PPT, but these are easily fixed.

RTF and Text docs are no problem.

Windows Media files require a free shareware translation tool like Flip4Mac to be playable in iTunes or Quicktime. Same type thing for zipped files.

If you buy at an Apple store, they will import your Windows files onto your new Mac at the time of purchase. But even if you buy an Intel Mac, they will continue to run the "I'm a Mac" commercials...
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                  X