X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage Points

Worth it? Not Worth it?

That is the question.

I get the basic idea: pay up-front for a lower interest rate. On its face, it seems like break-even is ~5 years out. That does not consider tax implications or what I might be able to earn on the money if I didn't put it down in points... which is why I remain unsure.

So, (American) financial gurus of Apolyton, what is your opinion on points?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

i demand a hockey analogy to solve this!
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Mortgage point? What's that?

Generic thought, paying more up front to save money in the future is really only for those without any cashflow concerns.

Break even after 5 years? Can't you renegotiate your mortgage by then?
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Of course, I am aware that asking this on 'poly may not be the best of ideas...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
          Mortgage point? What's that?

Generic thought, paying more up front to save money in the future is really only for those without any cashflow concerns.

Break even after 5 years? Can't you renegotiate your mortgage by then?
          Mortgage point = 1% of your loan amount. This gets you a break on the interest rate.

I could renegotiate the mortgage in 5 years... if that makes sense (rates drop). That's by no means a given.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            Of course, I am aware that asking this on 'poly may not be the best of ideas...

-Arrian
            You know algebra, you can figure it out.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Assuming that your personal circustances don't dictate otherwise, isn't this just a math question?
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Mortgage point = 1% of your loan amount. This gets you a break on the interest rate.

I could renegotiate the mortgage in 5 years... if that makes sense (rates drop). That's by no means a given.

-Arrian
                Are US mortgages fixed rate for the entire length of the mortgage then? Banks don't have the rate revert to an overinflated variable rate after a certain time such that you should renegotiate before that term is up?
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

There are a variety of mortgage options. I'm going with a 30-year fixed rate. You can do adjustable rate mortgages, but you are then gambling that in X years, the rate will have dropped, which IMO is a bad idea.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                    Assuming that your personal circustances don't dictate otherwise, isn't this just a math question?
                    Yes, but forgive me if my head hurts a bit. Not because I can't do basic math, but because this is but one of the many things I'm trying to deal with right now.

I get the basics of it, but the question, I suppose, is whether it actually might make more sense to not pay any points and try to do better via investment. There are also tax implications, which are dependent on our specific tax picture, which none of you know...

Bah. Maybe I'll just pay 1 point, which is kinda like a "hedge my bets" option.

-Arrian

Comment

If you're looking at 30-year rates, you don't want to speak to a mortgage expert. You want to speak to a prophet.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Arrian,

What kind of mortgage are you doing?

Comment

30 year fixed rate... "conforming"

Anyway, going with 1 point for a 6% rate, with lower closing costs than the original quote (haggling while tiresome, does work). If rates drop dramatically down the road, we will refinance.

Thanks to those who responded.

-Arrian

Comment

rate probably won't drop too much in the future

with that said I wouldn't take the points, instead I'd try to get into a 15 year fix, if not leave the points and put the money down on the principle with the idea of refi'ing to a 15 in 5 years.

IMO, points are a rip off
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Arrian,

6% should be par rate. I'd keep on haggling with him.

I have a few questions for you. Are you buying a house or doing a refinance? What's the approximate appraised value of the house? What's the approximate amount you're financing? Are you self employed or are you employed by a company that gives you a W-2? What state and county do you live in? If it's a refinance have you lived in the house previously? Feel free to answer me in a pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X