Plan A, version 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan A, version 9

So, it turns out I might have the opportunity to go from research assistant into full day consulting, and in the very field I'll start my continuation studies wihtin a year. Should I take this? Pricewaterhousecoopers might offer me the opportunity to do IT security consulting, but this would totally screw up my plans to go to China. I might be able to go to China within their ranks, but I have not yet brought this up wiht them, but they like when people want to go abroad, so maybe? This would also screw up research as a job during PhD studies, but then again, IT security is the name of the game, so instead of researching, I'd do consultancy for a recognized company, hopefully domestically and abroad.

So, research vs. consulting. Place your bets. Which one should I take? The research thing is in the bag, so I might have to reach for this consulting thing, as it's not in the bag yet. The thing is, with the research, I'd stil be a nobody with no credentials. With consultancy thing, I could claim experience plus reach to some kind of seniority in 3 years I'd suppose. Plus, they'd DEFINITELY pay me more. But it would also increase the amount of work, as if I did only research, I'd be credited for it in the school, so now I have to work extra for school.

So those are the pros and cons. And I'm looking to make money, not academic contributions. I'm still in the process of writing a series of articles with this PhD dude as of now, so I am getting few academical contributions as well, and that is directly IT security so.. what would you suggest?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Why do you need a PhD in the first place?
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Because the field I'm in has lots of grounds to make. And it's pretty common that people who are doing their PhD are working full time, so I just see it as a question of why not? I'm hoping to do networking during that time, get paid as well as get more working experience in my chosen field.

I'm not looking to get some entry level job and work my way up and have my fingers crossed. And why PhD? Everyone in here has MSc or equivalent. PhD is when you can say you have educational background in here. MSc will get you just that, entry level crap position. When working for PhD, even during that you are likely to get better job opportunities, jsut because you're going for it.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Consulting pwns
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Consulting pwns

you!

Constant travel
          Permanent electronic leash in the form of a BB or similar device
          No time for a personal life
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Naw, depends on the kind of consulting. I only travel once or twice a month.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

pchang, I don't need personal life as long as I'm not close enough to my goal. That is, most likely, my consulting firm of few people in very specialized field. We'll see.
              In da butt.

Comment

So my problem is, shoudl I accept the job or not, if they offer it to me? Provided I can study my PhD at the same time of course, I've already stated that I'd like to do that on the side, but seriously.
                In da butt.

Comment

Money now

is almost always more valuable than the possibility of more money later.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The PhD depends on if you have passion. If you just want money, take the money now.

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                    X