Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another example of the moral equivalence of the US and the "terrorists"

IRAQ: Mentally handicapped children used in attacks

BAGHDAD, 10 April 2007 (IRIN) - The dreams 13-year-old Barak Muhammad (not his real name) had of leading a normal teenage life were dashed when his father sold him to al-Qaeda militants. Being mentally handicapped, he said he was considered a burden by his family and was told he would be better off sacrificing his life for his country.

“I don’t have a mother and never went to school. I was dreaming of a day that I would go to school like my other brothers, but I was considered different. My father was always telling me that I was a mistake in his life, a boy that was just bringing expenses and problems,” Barak said.

Barak's father sold him to al-Qaeda in Iraq for US $10,000 to support his remaining five children. Now, Barak is in training to fight US and Iraqi troops.

“Today, I help some men who say they are from al-Qaeda group. They fight people who are occupying Iraq and they said that if I do my work well, God will protect me and make me be a healthy boy,” Barak said, adding that fighters promised him that he would soon join his mother in heaven.

Carrying a Kalashnikov assault rifle, Barak said he accompanies insurgents during night time raids and when needed acts as a decoy to divert the attention of US or Iraqi forces in the run-up to an attack...

Like Barak, dozens of other mentally handicapped children are being used by insurgents to fight US and Iraqi forces.

On 21 March, two children were used by al-Qaeda militants in a suicide attack on a market in Baghdad’s Adhamiyah neighbourhood, according to government officials.

“They were put in the back of a car with another two adults in the front. The military let their car pass though the check point since it had children as passengers. When they reached the market, they [the adults] left the car with the children inside and detonated a bomb in the vehicle, killing the children and another five Iraqis,” Khalid Sami, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said.

“Those children were later identified to have had mental problems and for sure they didn’t know what they were doing there,” Sami added.

Officials at a local NGO, who refused to be named for security reasons, said they had received many reports that mentally handicapped children were being used in insurgent attacks, especially in cities such as Diyala, Ramadi and Fallujah.

“Some children were given by their families but many others were kidnapped by insurgents when they knew that those children had mental problems. Some of them were even taken from the doors of their houses or schools,” the NGO’s spokesperson said. “We have registered many cases of the disappearance of children with mental problems. According to information we got from Anbar province, those children are working with insurgents.”

Youth are on the move. As technology has developed and the world has become a smaller place, young people are travelling more than ever in search of work, education, and health services.

Sounds pretty bad, right? Then again, we should all remember when America did the same thing. Really, the "terrorists" in Al Qaeda are mere amateurs compared to the United States, the most terroristic state on the planet...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

4/10. Mostly 'cause it's cute how you used the Onion rather than a not-obviously-parodic source. If you'd tried to make it serious I'd rate it 2/10.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

4/10

This might be true if it were anyone but Drake.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Very Special Forces

Comment

Why is using handicapped people in army bad?
          US has handicapped leader of the army, mr president that is.
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

Bush isn't handicapped. He's just a typical Baby Boomer...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Using mentally disabled people is a way, and a specially effective way, for U.S. Army to infiltrated Islamic terrorism!
              bleh

Comment

1/10 and Drake only gets that high because he was dumb/funny enough to use the Onion as a source.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

5/10

I'm feeling generous tonight 'cause I did two good deeds for random strangers this week.
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                  X