Recommend books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend books

I need more books, even though I have tons, but I need tons more.

The latest book I've read is Snow Crash. I found it quite interesting and good. I'm not looking any.. professional books, just for entertainment.

So now I'm trying to find my inner geek with cyberpunk... any recommendations? Uhmm, is Gibson's Neuromancer trilogy any good (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive)?

Also dystopia books, I have and I liked 1984, Brave New World, but I could get some more.

OK. Your turn.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Gibson does good cyberpunk, but I prefer Walter Jon Williams. Check out his Hardwired and Voice of the Whirlwind for that. I'm also very fond of Aristoi, but it isn't really cyberpunk. Most of his other stuff is pretty good as well, although The Rift wasn't particularly notable.

Edit:
    Or, if you want a completely different take, check out Haruki Murakami's "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World".

Wraith
    "What's the worst thing in a city that covers the world?
    To live forever with the object of desire, and not to possess it."
    -- "Metropolitan" (Walter Jon Williams)
    Last edited by Wraith; April 13, 2007, 21:00.

Comment

Neuromancer was a trilogy? I only read the first one, which was pretty good.

Comment

Babylon Babies - Maurice G. Dantec

From Publishers Weekly
        Explosive and paranoid, this futuristic fable by French sci-fi novelist Dantec explores the frightening ramifications of genetic experimentation. In a constantly shifting world conflict circa 2013, violent-minded (though well-read) Hugo Cornelius Toorop, a 20-year Special Forces veteran of the Bosnian conflict, is offered a lucrative new job by the Siberian mafia in Kazakhstan to transport a young woman to Montreal. Who is Marie Zorn, and what does she carry that is top secret? Armed with new identities and the requisite grenades, Hugo, along with his expert team—the gun-happy Israeli Rebecca Waterman and the hard-core Belfast rebel Dowie—get her to Montreal, where it becomes clear that Marie is a pawn in a vast, pernicious artificial biosphere program and that, moreover, she's pregnant, feared to be carrying an animal clone, and thus contaminated. The nimble, hyperbolic Dantec creates a surreal alternate identity for her on the streets of Quebec through a kind of virtual death. Toorop is pressed by a New Age army of cyborgs (aka Cosmic Dragons) to find Marie and bring her back, and under drug experiments he penetrates the double helix to achieve a surprisingly humanistic conclusion. Riddled with acronyms and pop culture allusions, this is an intense, intellectually labyrinthine ride. (Nov.)
        bleh

Comment

The Big One by Stuart Slade.

Alternate WW2 History ending the only way it should....with Germany being nuked from the face of the Earth.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Much better than Turtledove's books.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

"Twilight" and "New Moon" -stephenie meyer

"Mad River Road" -joy fielding

"Fall on your Knees" -ann-marie mcdonald

"Silent Joe" -t. jefferson parker

they're entertaining

Comment

Look how happy she looks!

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    Neuromancer was a trilogy? I only read the first one, which was pretty good.
                    Yeah, the three books go together, though IIRC, Neuromancer was the best.

Hardwired

When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger

The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley

Software, Wetware by Rudy Rucker

Mirrorshades, ed by Bruce Sterling (he wrote some cyberpunk novels, Islands in the Net, and some others which currently escape me)

Pat Cadigan, John Shirley & Lewis Shiner wrote some cyberpunk.

More recent are the Takeshi Kovacs books - Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, & Woken Furies by Richard Morgan
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

"Life at the Bottom" by Theodore Dalrymple. It's a gritty look at the underbelly of British society through the eyes of a doctor who works in a public hospital - a description of a real-life dystopia. I highly recommend it.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

'334' by Thomas Disch.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          Look how happy she looks!

I actually have that book !

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Yeah, me too.
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

The Holy Scripture

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X