Laptop advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop advice

I'm not very up to date when it comes to laptops and a friend of mine is thinking of buying one, so here goes:

Money: no real issue (within limits of course ).
    games: nope
    software: meh, I'll deal with that if needed.

One thing I think that will be important, is that it has to be sturdy.

Can't really think of anything else (don't think batteries are going to be an issue either way and I guess,
    that if you buy a better build quality, all other points will be met too, right.).

Thanks
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

I recently checked out the laptops at my local Futureshop. Toshiba are still pretty good, AFAIK. But the HP's impressed me. They look good, the price is right and they tend to have much better screens than the other brands: the other laptop's screens looked washed out in comparison. Not sure if they're sturdy, though. If you want sturdy you can always get a Thinkpad. But they're expensive for nothing, IMO. And I'm not sure if the quality is still there since Lenovo bought the brand from IBM.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Don't go with HP for laptops, I've had nothing but pain from mine.

Comment

With gaming out of the picture, look for trauma protection and battery life as key factors.

Your key application will be Vista. I think if you're getting something new and don't skimp on RAM, you should be fine. But I'm no expert. I tend to buy more than the minimum as a hedge against next-generation requirements.

Ergonomically, the key user options are screen size, matte vs glossy screens (a personal preference issue) and the like. If it's substituting for a desktop and doesn't travel much, you might consider a bigger screen size (17"), which sometimes gets you a numeric keypad. It's worth a trip to CDW to get a handle on your preferences.

I leave it to others here to address the meaty issues of Vista-readiness, preferred chipset and the like.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Yeah. My HP lasted 17 months, faded and died.

There was a thread about HP laptops issues a few months back.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            You realize that your experience is statistically meaningless, don't you?
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Yeah. My HP lasted 17 months, faded and died.

There was a thread about HP laptops issues a few months back.
              Again, that's absolutely meaningless, statistically speaking. Alva should disregard it. Of course, he won't. According to some researchers, evidence suggests that our brains can't help but take into account useless information like the one you and Kuci provided. Its as if we were hard wired to do so. I have to admit that I'm like you guys. I make the same error again and again. That's why I constantly have to remind myself that single cases mean nothing.

The real question is: are HP laptops less reliable, on average, than other brands?
              Last edited by Nostromo; April 10, 2007, 18:40.

Comment

The problem with my HP laptop was a design issue, not a random defect.

Comment

alva, go here

Thank you for visiting the TechnologyGuide network. Unfortunately, these forums are no longer active. We extend a heartfelt thank you to the entire community for their steadfast support—it is really you, our readers, that drove

There's a "what laptop should I buy?" forum. Fill out the precise FAQ and people will make some suggestions based on the specs you want.
                  Last edited by Nostromo; April 10, 2007, 18:41.

Comment

thanks, will do.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X