Apolyton Math Question. bring your calculus hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRT144

I am over the age of 20. I dropped out of high school when I was 16, and didnt go back to school until I was 22. This accounts for my complete lack of progressing past Algebra and forgetting most of it.

I dont believe that there is an age limit to learning, as I feel much better able to learn concepts of math now than I did when I was 15-16, if only because I have more discipline and desire.
    I can imagine it's hard to go back to school.
    Good for you.
    I think that the innate ability to learn does diminish with age, but as you say attitude can sometimes more than compensate.

Originally posted by MRT144
    It also explains a lot of other things about me

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme

I can imagine it's hard to go back to school.
      Good for you.
      I think that the innate ability to learn does diminish with age, but as you say attitude can sometimes more than compensate.
      Well its really hard because I work full time and take classes at night, but hey, this is for the greater good.

In regards to the , im sure that my decision to leave high school shaped some of the future choices I made.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        by the way, why don't you try creating a directory using your emulator (make sure it has a unique name) and then search for it using the windows search function (in order to relate the two directory structures).
        Ok that worked.
        I moved by nauty directory in my home directory for cygwin and was able to see it.
        If I go in the directory and do "./configure"
        I get a special error (Different than if I run it in a different directory, so something is working).
        I get:
        ./configure: line 2: $'\r': command not found
        ./configure: line 9: $'\r': command not found
        ./configure: line 14: $'\r': command not found
        ./configure: line 48: $'\r': command not found
        ./configure: line 55: $'\r': command not found
        ./configure: line 58: syntax error near unexpected token '4'do\r''
        ./configure: line 58: 'do

I'm still playing around a bit with it, and also trying to just compile under windows.

Comment

what error do you get?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

what error do you get?
            I Dansed you the answer.
            I tried doing the next part of the process, in case these errors were normal.
            and did "make nauty"

I got this.
            ================================================== ======================
            | In order to compile nauty on systems which include a Unix-like shell
            | (which includes MacOSX and Cygwin), you must first run the script
            | "configure". Usually this can be done with the command
            | ./configure
            |
            | The configure script will create custom versions of these files:
            | gtools.h makefile naututil.h nauty.h
            | Afterwards you can use "make" to compile everything.
            |
            | In case you can't run shell scripts, or configure doesn't work for
            | some reason, you need to adjust the configuration by hand:
            | For gtools.h, naututil.h, and nauty.h, make sure definitions near the
            | start of the file (like HAVE_UNISTD_H and SIZEOF_INT) are all correct.
            | For makefile, copy the file makefile.basic to makefile, then check the
            | definitions near the start.
            |
            | Please notify Brendan McKay of any problems with
            | the configuration and of any hints you might have for other people with
            | similar setups as you have.
            ================================================== ======================

I've looked at the files I'm suppose to edit manually.
            Things like SIZEOF_INT seem completly absent but there are similar things, so I'm looking through the documentation to see what I'm suppose to define it as.
            Last edited by Lul Thyme; April 10, 2007, 16:35.

Comment

Your configure script is ****ed up. The \r is a carriage return, but your terminal is interpreting it as a command. All of those \r instances should be replaced by newlines (\n)

Did you unzip the .tar.gz file under windows or under your emulator?

I'd suggest you delete the entire nauty directory. Then, dowload the .tar.gz file again. Put it where cygwin can see it. Open a cywin terminal. Go to the dir where the file is. Type in

tar xfz nauty24b3.tar.gz

This should create the nauty22 directory and put all the files in it. Then go to that directory and try ./configure again

The only thing I can think of is that the Windows unzipping utility ****ed up and replaced some (but not all) of the \n instances with \r
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

(by the way, anybody with a real clue can feel free to step in here if I'm talking out of my ass)
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Your configure script is ****ed up. The \r is a carriage return, but your terminal is interpreting it as a command. All of those \r instances should be replaced by newlines (\n)

Did you unzip the .tar.gz file under windows or under your emulator?

I'd suggest you delete the entire nauty directory. Then, dowload the .tar.gz file again. Put it where cygwin can see it. Open a cywin terminal. Go to the dir where the file is. Type in

tar xfz nauty24b3.tar.gz

This should create the nauty22 directory and put all the files in it. Then go to that directory and try ./configure again

The only thing I can think of is that the Windows unzipping utility ****ed up and replaced some (but not all) of the \n instances with \r
                  I did uncompress it with windows.
                  That makes a lot of sense, I'll try that.

EDIT:
                  Wow I think it worked!!
                  Inconceivable.
                  I'll try a fun things see if everything is fine, but it looks good!
                  Thank you very much.

EDIT2:
                  well ./configure and make nauty seemed to work, but then the documentation said to make checks to see if everything was ok, and I got an error so something went wrong.
                  I don't know what could be wrong at this point, it's probably not a UNIX thing.
                  I might write to Brendan McKay to ask him about it.

Thanks again, in any case.

EDIT 3
                  The readme said to do make all instead of make nauty. That produced a different output but make checks still didnt' work.
                  Last edited by Lul Thyme; April 10, 2007, 17:24.

Comment

Turns out I was using version 2.2
                    I tried the beta of version 2.4, and I actually got errors during the make all.
                    Things like
                    gtools.o:gtools.c.text+0x513):undefined reference to '_flockfile'.

The error in the make checks of v2.2 is
                    5 [main] sh 1696 dtable::stdio_init: couldn't make stderr distinct from stdout
                    make.exe:*** [dreadtest] Error 126.

Comment

Okay, I know what it's saying it can't do, but I don't know why it would fail under cygwin.

Sorry.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Okay, I know what it's saying it can't do, but I don't know why it would fail under cygwin.

Sorry.
                        Well in the nauty documentation, he does mention cygwin and says it should work, so hopefully that's not the problem.
                        Anyway I just emailed him, so we'll see if he can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
                          Turns out I was using version 2.2
                          I tried the beta of version 2.4, and I actually got errors during the make all.
                          Things like
                          gtools.o:gtools.c.text+0x513):undefined reference to '_flockfile'.

The error in the make checks of v2.2 is
                          5 [main] sh 1696 dtable::stdio_init: couldn't make stderr distinct from stdout
                          make.exe:*** [dreadtest] Error 126.
                          Try "make nauty" instead of "make all" - that should give you the nauty programs only.

I don't know anything about cygwin (using solaris and linux), but it seems like it don't like _flockfile - google on "_flockfile cygwin undefined reference" gives some six hits that might help you.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Try "make nauty" instead of "make all" - that should give you the nauty programs only.

I don't know anything about cygwin (using solaris and linux), but it seems like it don't like _flockfile - google on "_flockfile cygwin undefined reference" gives some six hits that might help you.
                            I got a response from McKay and it was sort of similar to what you said, so I'll try something along these lines later today.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Well I finally got it to work.
                              Turns out the problem was I had installed some other UNIX emulator and there was some PATH conflict or somesuch.
                              I deleted that one, remove the defined env. variables reinstalled everything and it seems ok now.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X