The origins of the Mightly Banana are hiding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The origins of the Mightly Banana are hiding

The first poll on that has a banana option, but threads before give no mention of why bananas are Apolyton's abstian or other option. Please help me in my search to find the origins of the Mighty Banana.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

I'm sure someone has book marked the thread where banana joke started. I haven't seen it in years.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I don't think it started because of that thread. Are at least not entirely. IIRC there was also involvement of Roland's Bananananaa wars thread (about the banana trade disputes between the EU and the US)
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Check the date, the thread I linked is about 4 years after the event.

Comment

by Vince278
            Finally, a poll where the banana option is actually serious.
            I'd vote tomato if it were there.

if this is indeed the origins of the mighty banana... then why did Vince278 post THIS?

this seems to point out the fact that the banana was used on 'Poly in polls before this?
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
              this seems to point out the fact that the banana was used on 'Poly in polls before this?
              Well... as Dauphin said, the above mentioned thread was created in 2004, which is many years after the banana option was introduced

Originally posted by Dauphin
              Check the date, the thread I linked is about 4 years after the event.
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I forgot who started the thread, but it was a poll in response to ridiculous options in the poll. The creator used banana in his poll as an example and the rest is history.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Banana wasn't the only nonsense option. It just happened to win.

Lore says there was also an option about furries.

Comment

I remember the first poll with the banana option, it was in 2002.

edit: Maybe 2001? but not earlier
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      I forgot who started the thread, but it was a poll in response to ridiculous options in the poll. The creator used banana in his poll as an example and the rest is history.
                      I think I remember that, but wasn't that more than 10 years back when Apolyton was an entirely different site? I'd be surprised if it was the same gag running through all of those changes.

Comment

It isnt that old, the banana option is something from 2001 or 2002, I remember someone including banana in a poll, general amusement, and everybody including banana in their polls from that moment on.

I think there was a thread about the history of the banana poll option a couple of years ago
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Geronimo, unlikely, polls were not part of the bulletin board software until version 2 (?). It was the fact that polls became available that they got abused with nonsense options.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                            I remember the first poll with the banana option, it was in 2002.

edit: Maybe 2001? but not earlier
                            Were you lurking, or just under a different log-in?
                            Last edited by Dauphin; April 8, 2007, 17:11.

Comment

Different log in, I dont remember what it was and I dont remember my password, so I made a new one.
                              But I posted in the civ forums, not here since my english wasnt good enough back then to have a conversation.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X