This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is feminism inherently negative?

The more I read about this ideology, the more I come to the conclusion that feminism is, at least today, inherently negativist, based on negation and not affirmation, and in general anti-life. A devout feminist is incapable of a normal relationship with a man, or with her society, and is incompatible with the family unit.

This movement may, once upon a time, have been a force for the good, when women were fighting for equality, but now they have degenerated into some sort of rabidly anti-men, anti-society, anti-establishmentarian farce.

When I see the syllabus for "Women's Studies", I see most of it is plain rubbish masquerading as scholarship.

Another part, which I covered in an earlier thread, is that women in the movement are denied any traditional role models. All women who were well-integrated into their society, or served as a model for later women (such as Sita, Kunti, Draupadi, et al) are called "slaves". All women who follow normal gender roles are called "slaves". Hell, all women who have a normal and happy married life are also called "slaves"! Slaves of what, precisely? The Patriarchal society, or course!

One thing which I realised is that trying to form an ideological movement around a simple struggle for equality is dangerous and ultimately self-defeating. This is because movements and ideologies have a life of their own, once initiated.

When the feminist movement started, it aimed at gender equality, or equality of opportunity. Today, in Europe and America, this equality is a reality.

But any movement, once started, acquires a life of its own. If feminism had been simply a struggle for equal rights, it would have ended when these rights were granted. The mistake that occurred was that it became an ideology, a movement.

Any movement seeks to justify its existence. The only way feminism could seek to justify its existence after they achieved their ends (of gender equality through legislation) was to expand their scope, or to somehow try to establish that their objective was not yet achieved. They chose to follow both these methods.

In the first place, feminists have expanded into what is called "Women's Studies", supposedly a study of women. I've always wondered what that really meant, because women cannot be studied as one would study a biological specimen, devoid of all context. This ensures that the "movement" remains alive.

The second method is of somehow saying that in spite of the achievement of all their stated goals, the goals haven't really been achieved, and by making more and more demands. The demands, of necessity, grow more and more absurd as time goes on, because all the reasonable ones have already been granted. Demands and cries of "Help! Help! I, the poor helpless woman, am being oppressed!" always help in rallying people around the cause.

One interesting side-effect is that this locks feminists into a sense of perpetual victimhood. What they don't understand is that this reinforces the image of women as helpless or weak far better than any amount of male domination ever could.

The moral of the story: don't turn struggles into movements. It degenerates into farce. And don't pay attention to idiots - these "studiers" of "women" will die out if not given any more attention of paid any heed.

And just to piss off feminists, from now on, I'm going to start calling myself a "Patriarchian".

I doubt anyone here would disagree with you... so why bring it up?
    If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Yes, women should definitely be kept in their place by a male-controlled society.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
        Yes, women should definitely be kept in their place by a male-controlled society.
        What's the going rate for straw these days?

Comment

If nothing else the responses in the Sean Connery thread should show everyone there is still a need for feminism.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

What's the going rate for straw these days?
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
              If nothing else the responses in the Sean Connery thread should show everyone there is still a need for feminism.
              What Sean Connery thread?

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Is aneeshm rasist and sexist?
                  USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                  The video may avatar is from

Comment

Re: Is feminism inherently negative?

No, duh. I suppose this thread is supposed to convince us of Hindu civilization?

Comment

Our civilisation so totally pwns his.
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

@ Ozzy

Uhh....

In case you didn't notice, the replies were humorous, not serious.

Comment

I'll bite. First, feminism, now that it's a movement, has fragmented into multiple different sects. You do have the hate-all-men womyn, but you also have the "empowered" sluts of the Pussycat Dolls at the other end of the spectrum. To say that feminism as a whole is negative is like saying the "equal-rights movement", "tolerance movement", or "religion" is negative.

Of course, in the vein of all those who are somewhat closed-minded extremists, you're conflating one extremist viewpoint that's opposed to yours, and using it to smear all over the other different mindsets present in that movement. Even worse, you're taking those that abuse the movement as an indictment of all those who actually believe in it and want it to deliver successfully on all of its noble intentions. Shame on you. If that's your style of argumentation, then you're no better than the political extremists for and against the current troubles in Iraq, or the left and right in the culture battles across the American heartland--shallow, cynical, and utterly shameless.

There's also your comment that equal rights have been granted--you're right, they're here, at least on paper. Still, women are woefully underrepresented in the higher echelons; pay is not fully equalized; and females often have to perform an ongoing calculus on whether to emphasize traditional "femininity" and the attached impression of weakness--and thus, on unequal footing--or to shed it at become more "feminist" and be perceived as man-hating, anti-life, anti-society, anti-nuclear family unit by the yuksters who distrust change and continue to enjoy the fruits of the "patriarchial system"--in other words, those that refuse to adapt to new conditions. (Refusing to adapt marks you as an utter failure, and destined for extinction. Doesn't matter what you refuse to adapt to, all that matters is that you do and then succeed.)

Oh, and this--boys don't generally have to worry about walking down darkened streets at night, afraid of some unlawful intrusion into their person by a protuberance that could end up implanting a parasite that grows inside of them. When that fear goes away, maybe true equality will be more in sight.

I realize this might be a troll, but it's early and I can't help myself.
                          B♭3

Comment

Oh, and this--boys don't generally have to worry about walking down darkened streets at night, afraid of some unlawful intrusion into their person by a protuberance that could end up implanting a parasite that grows inside of them. When that fear goes away, maybe true equality will be more in sight.
                            Again, the unrealistic goals of feminism aneeshm speaks of, and the stupidy of trying to level two vastly different things, specifically men and women. You can't legeslate hormones and urges. In the sexual realm the reality will always be "intrusion into their person by a protuberance that could end up implanting a parasite that grows inside of them." Minus the rape part this will always be the case, the male and female experiance while perhaps being equal will never be the same no matter how much femnazis might want it.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Is feminism inherently negative?

Originally posted by aneeshm

When I see the syllabus for "Women's Studies", I see most of it is plain rubbish masquerading as scholarship.
                              Then you must feel right at home, breezing in from 'studying' Aryan Revisionism 101.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X