Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Iranian condemnation of the movie "300" a positive sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Iranian condemnation of the movie "300" a positive sign?

Knowing the general Muslim attitude towards all things pre-Islamic, I was quite pleasantly surprised when I came across the news that Iranian clerics had condemned the movie "300".

In general, Muslims consider all things which came before Islam to be "pagan" and thus "ignorance" and "unclean". This attitude usually severs the convert's link with his mother culture. The convert has to draw upon Arab stories, Arab language, Arab customs, Arab everything, in order to be a "true Muslim", because the code formalised by Mohammed was Arab-based.

This has led to the export of Arab nationalism and superioritism and Islam as one package. Indeed, I still partly believe that they are inseparable.

Coming back to the Iranian issue - the Quran praises the Romans for defeating the Persians, because the Romans were Christians, and thus monotheists, while the Persians were "pagans" or Zoroastrians. It celebrates this victory, in fact. It revels in it, the same way the Arab barbarians later revelled in the ruins of Persia.

It is to the defence of this same "pagan" and condemned culture that the clerics have come. This is totally unexpected, because it means that the clerics have, for once, chosen their own history and culture over their religion, over the Arab imperialism their religion brings. Here, I see a ray of hope - that Islam may finally be divorcing itself from its Arab origin.

This is a positive sign, because it will to better assimilation, and less conflict, if Muslims do not insist on equating their cultural identity with their religious one, and if they are able to adopt to their host country's culture, to become part, to finally contribute constructively instead of destructively.

Re: Is the Iranian condemnation of the movie "300" a positive sign?

The 300 were 'pagan', so it's pagan killing pagan. Hence the religious element is moot and all that is left to discuss is the dehumanising of the stinky mutant Persians by the evil western world.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Most Iranians are very proud of their Persian heritage.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

So much so that they changed the name of their country.

Comment

@ Dauphin

Iran is derived from Arya/Aryan.

Comment

And replaced the western name by a local one
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              Most Iranians are very proud of their Persian heritage.
              That's rather my point. That when it comes to a choice between religion and culture, they're choosing culture - which is a very good thing.

Originally posted by Dauphin
              The 300 were 'pagan', so it's pagan killing pagan. Hence the religious element is moot and all that is left to discuss is the dehumanising of the stinky mutant Persians by the evil western world.
              No, it wasn't. From the Muslim POV, pagans killing pagans is either good, or neutral. No Muslim worth his salt will ever defend pre-Islamic Arab culture in any conflict with another pre-Islamic culture. At best, he'll be neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                So much so that they changed the name of their country.
                Kinda like "Italy" that way, huh?
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Nah, Italy was never called Roman within the last 100 years. Roma was called Roma, but they are probably just proud of their theiving gypsy heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Kinda like "Italy" that way, huh?
                    Italians (at least those around Rome, Tuscany) see themselves as descendants of ancient Romans., yet not the same people as ancient romans.
                    Some lega norders identify with the celts and not the romans, and south italy used to be basically greek.

But persians do see themselves as the same people of 2500 years ago
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                      But persians do see themselves as the same people of 2500 years ago
                      Yup. Besides, it's not as if "most Iranians" made the decision to change the name of their country; Reza Shah made that decision, to symbolise a break with the pre-modernisation regime, and in fact, in the face of protest at the decision, agreed that the name "Persia" could be used as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        And replaced the western name by a local one
                        Both names are of Persian origin. Besides, they've been calling the country "Iran" since before there was a West.

The good thing about adopting "Iran" for the country in western languages is that one can now easily distinguish nationality (Iranian) and ethnicity (Persian).
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Well, we're all Aryas anyway.

Comment

I'm not!

Comment

But sadly, the Iranians have destroyed the Arya basis of their culture by their conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X