Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arguments you love in debates

Originally posted by BeBro
    My favourite is the mighty "If you think X (something contrary to my POV) you are Y (something evil, stupid, or both)!".

Also nice in the "Does somebody here really thinks X???" version.

What are the best arguments you encountered?
    "I totally agree with your point of view".

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
      "Everyone knows X to be true"

"But the US does/did Y"

I swear, these two come up in nearly every debate I've been in. Maybe everyone really does know that the US did Y. Am I out of the loop?
      Of course, the "US" in this special case can be quite easily replaced by other things
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection
        I love it when an argument is exactly the same I previously responded to, so I can just link it to my old reply.
        I imagine looking at the KO thread gives you spontaneous orgasms.

My favourite argument is "if you think foreign cultures are as stupid/evil/conceited as westerners you are teh racist!"
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          My favourite argument is "if you think foreign cultures are as stupid/evil/conceited as westerners you are teh racist!"
          Is it a classic at CFC?
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Is it a classic at CFC?
            Not really - for some reason, CFCers are less fond of the "omfg you are teh racist" gambit than 'Polytubbies -, it's something I've seen in a lot of places.

A good example here would be when Aggie called me a racist for saying I saw no reason to expect the PRC to be a more benevolent hegemon than what the US is.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
            X