Arguments you love in debates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arguments you love in debates

My favourite is the mighty "If you think X (something contrary to my POV) you are Y (something evil, stupid, or both)!".

Also nice in the "Does somebody here really thinks X???" version.

What are the best arguments you encountered?
    Blah

Saying that I am a good debater in no way serves as an argument against my position. So stop trying to pretend that it does.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

If you thinik that these are arguments that other people love in debates then you are a CommieNazi!

I mean does somebody here really think that these arguments are loved by people in debates?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Of course, I can easily disprove your point with some of these:

Blah

Comment

my favorites?

1- question dodging with smirky one liners
          2- "i think i'll ignore you now..."
          3- "WhoTF is AAHZ anyways?"

piece
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Smirky one-liners
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Get that smirky look off your face.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"you've been pwnd"

I love the claim victory and it is yours approach. A big fave at OT.

"Shoot the messenger" is also a favouritre approach in these parts.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

1. USA USA USA
                  2. Adam Smith dixit

Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    "you've been pwnd"

I love the claim victory and it is yours approach. A big fave at OT.
                    I don't. It usually leads to arguments over who-pwned-who, which are depressing and tedious.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Worst and most favourite argument:

We cannot X because Y may happen

example:
                      We cannot a forbid tv-sex-ads before 20:00 because today it's no sex-ads before 20:00, tomorrow we're not allowed to have sex at all anymore!

You can obviously also include a more conservative type of the same argument:
                      We cannot accept advertisements of women's underwear on tv after 20:00 because today it's women's underwear after 20:00 and tomorrow there are all kinds of acts of sexuality happening on the street in front of our children.

It's amazing how both extremes use the same style of debating!
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

WTF Pekka?

Spec.
                        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I am sure that Bebro will love that a loved argument results in other arguments depressing and tedious.
                          Statistical anomaly.
                          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

WTF, Spec?
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Do you have any sort of factual basis for this claim?

Spec.
                              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X