X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Iranian strategy to defuse an attack over the nuclear issues

Iran challenges Bush

By Amir Oren

Captain Terry Kraft, commander of the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan, sat in the mess hall during the Passover seder meal, a skullcap on his head, gefilte fish and hard-boiled egg on his plate, while the military chaplain, Joel Newman, conducted the ceremony. On a nearby wall, photographs of Ronald and Nancy Reagan stared down on the Jewish officers, sailors and their commanders.

Admiral William Fallon captured this scene, which took place last year, on film and then sent it to his Israeli friend, Major General (res.) Giora Rom. Fallon and Kraft are navigators. In the U.S. Navy, one does not have to be a fighter pilot to command an aircraft carrier, which is akin to a floating airbase, or the air wing that the ship hosts onboard.

Last year, Fallon was commander of PACOM, the U.S. Pacific Command. Now he is a lot busier, as commander of CENTCOM, Central Command, responsible for the fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan and, possibly in the near future, Iran.

Fallon has at his disposal two aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf, the USS Eisenhower and the USS Stennis, each with a complement of 75 warplanes equipped with precise munitions. A third carrier, USS Nimitz, is making its way to the Gulf to replace the Eisenhower. During the overlap, all three will be within striking distance of Iranian targets, and the USS Reagan is not too far away.

This is enormous power, larger than the air forces of nearly all other countries, but it is also exposed to surface-to-sea missiles (like the Chinese-made C-802 cruise missile that Iran delivered to Hezbollah and which struck INS Hanit during the Second Lebanon War) and other threats, like the explosives-laden speed boat that seriously damaged the USS Cole, a destroyer anchored in the port of Aden in Yemen in 2000.

Naval hostile actions between the United States and Iran took place in the Gulf during the years 1987-88, as the Iran-Iraq war raged and Tehran targeted the tankers carrying Kuwait's export oil. This time, the clash may develop out of a crisis such as the Iranian ambush of a lackadaisical patrol of British sailors and marines, 15 of whom were captured without a fight on March 23 and who are expected to be released today.

In a major assault, American missiles will also be launched from submarines and underground silos in Colorado and South Dakota. But the aircraft carriers, whose visibility is almost conspicuous, have a clear advantage over missiles hidden from view: the element of deterrence they are supposed to create vis a vis Iran, and also an element of calm for the Gulf States, first and foremost Saudi Arabia.

However, the initiative is now in the hands of Iran, which is preferring not to wait for a time convenient for President George W. Bush to strike a blow following its refusal to cease its program to acquire nuclear weapons and the expected failure of diplomatic efforts to this end.

It is best for Iran to establish the context, the timing and the force of the clash with the West - a limited confrontation in the Gulf that could save it from a much bigger blow to its nuclear installations.

In a limited confrontation, Iran could lose the battle but win the campaign. At home, it will describe the shedding of American blood and the destruction of American equipment as an achievement, even if it pays a higher cost in loss of naval vessels, aircraft and oil installations.

The American public, Democrats in Congress and presidential candidates will protest and act to prevent any further escalation.

The Saudis and their neighbors will panic. The Bush administration, which is in the midst of a strategic pullout from Iraq (even if it is currently in a tactical offensive), will find it difficult to rally support for opening another front in Iran.

The ambush of the British sailors was an Iranian challenge, not the last one, to the U.S. and its allies. Bush is opposed in principle to deals involving prisoner exchanges for hostages.

He did not publicly voice his opposition to the release of Palestinian prisoners in exchange for Gilad Shalit. Nonetheless, a day before the British sailors were imprisoned, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice criticized her Italian counterpart, Massimo D'Alema, for releasing five Taliban captives for an Italian journalist abducted in Afghanistan.

The London-Tehran deal sheds a strange light on Bush's declared principle. But had former U.S. president Jimmy Carter not failed in his efforts to release the hostages from the U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1980, Reagan, who is admired by Bush, would not have become president, been commemorated with an aircraft carrier, and have authorized an arms deal in exchange for the hostages in Iran.

Main point: Iran will create several escalating actions, and a limited confrontation, that will rock the boat and prevent the US from building support for an attack, in home as well as among its local allies.

Iran is hella smarter than the US.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Siro, right...

I think what most people should realize with the whole kidnapped UK soldiers thing is, that the 'propaganda' wasn't so much meant for the west as it was for the home front. That is, we are treating these intruders well, we are being friendly, and they do nothing but be hostile and that's the thanks we get from being nice.

I think it's weird how this was lost on so many people here in the west. Or in general, that propaganda is MOSTLY used on your own people, that's the primary group. Oh well, we are cattle anyway, let's get it going on!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
        Iran is hella smart
        Indeed. They certainly aren't the messianic madmen some like to make them out to be.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Indeed. They certainly aren't the messianic madmen some like to make them out to be.
          theres no reason a messianic madman cant be tactically clever.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

To be honest, this article doesn't make sense to me. It's too clever by half.

Once the escalation starts, it likely would take on a life of its own, to end when the US decides it's good and ready to call off the dogs. Also, it shows a fundamental lack of understanding about how the US works. The president has the whip hand in the short term with regard to how the military is used. The military could put Iran in the stone age before the congress has its say.
            Last edited by DanS; April 5, 2007, 14:32.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Also, do they understand that Iran is seen as a threat even by some Frenchies? That is, they can't play the victim if they start messing up. If they should start any bigger escalation and provided that the west won't be stupid about it, there's chances that they'd get away with opening shots (metaphorically), but the chances of that happening isn't too great, and if Iran should go berzerk, they will get it and get it so badly there won't be any secondary escalations. They will stop being a power in the ME basically. Is that what they really want? I don't think so. I think they should try to be that power in ME region, because they have absolutely no extra-territorial powers nor could they get that outside ME. Looks to me someone has illusions about chances for power grabs..
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Dan, it's just another of those silly speculative fluff pieces which assign every country outside of the West with some sort of genius ability to plan grand strategy.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't quite buy the idea that Iran could get away with attacking US ships directly.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

The outcome described is possible but it's not in the means of any actor in a system to unilaterally manipulate an escalation to achieve a certain wanted outcome. Iran would not be smart but very stupid if they tried that. What the author describes is thus an irrational fear. Possible to happen randomly, but impossible to achieve in a controlled manner.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Dan, it's just another of those silly speculative fluff pieces which assign every country outside of the West with some sort of genius ability to plan grand strategy.
                      KH put it for the cheap seats in the back row.

Comment

wanting to provoke a crisis (given one must come) while the US is heavily tied up in Iraq, Israel is politically paralyzed, etc hardly takes genius.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

KH put it for the cheap seats in the back row.

I have no idea what this means.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Yes, but sometimes I fear that some of the Iranian elite actually operate under similar misconceptions. Both the Taliban and Hussein have misjudged our intentions in the past 5 years, so I wonder whether such thoughts are rampant.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              To be honest, this article doesn't make sense to me. It's too clever by half.

Once the escalation starts, it likely would take on a life of its own, to end when the US decides it's good and ready to call off the dogs. Also, it shows a fundamental lack of understanding about how the US works. The president has the whip hand in the short term with regard to how the military is used. The military could put Iran in the stone age before the congress has its say.
                              Did you pay attention to Lebanon? That wasnt close to putting anyone in the stone age, but the political costs were dramatic.

For the US to send Iran to the stone age over a minor naval confrontation in the Gulf is out of the question. Game over, we lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X