Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating day at work

Yeah, had one of those.

Not because.. not because I had to do stuff. But it was the stuff that other people wanted to do that made me kind of go ... I was doing my consulting thing for this public sector entity, it's a big project, system integration and all kinds of stuff, right? So I was there as the expert, and my job is to listen what they talk in their meetings, and then do my stuff later on and tell them what works, what doesn't work, how they could approach things, what they can do now, what is high priority stuff etc.

Well, I'm glad they don't listen. Since my last recommendations, 0 of them was inducted into what they actually do now. I can't go into much details, but let's just stay they are taking huge risks, just unnecessary business risks. I think if we had a risk management there, we'd be approaching all low frequency but high risk goals. This thing is almost sure to fail in one way or the other that is completely unnecessary.

What pisses me off, it's these very fundamental OBVIOUS mistakes, I've told them about it, I've stressed out these very few fundamental things. It seems that they are not taking it seriously. For example, the current 'system' is actually a collection of many custom systems, developed by independent companies over the time and kind of slapped together. It's a huge mess. So I kind of let them knwo what they now have and because they want centralized system, easy to use etc.. you know, that's what I try to explain how it is achieved. It's like... I showed them the current redundancy with the systems, and pointed out the systems we can just get rid off if we are going to have a succesful intergation with the new system that aims for the things I mentioned earlier.

They were like wow, yeah, that's cool. Yeah ok it's not cool, it's kind of obvious, so this is not the cool option we are afraid to do because it's cool and cool things are difficult, it's the thing we SHOULD do and one of hte main goals to be achieved. It's kind of the heart of the whole future integration. If we **** this up, there is no succesful integration, adn the new system and introduction of it is useless, except that it cost a lot of money in developement, user training etc.

Oh did I mention they never budgeted user training as one of the things that will cost? Of course not. Did I mention it? Yes. Obviously they thought I was being a little ***** and smart ass, but it still isnt' fixed.

So yeah, in the last few weeks they've come up with several new features they want, few of them which were not initiated by the actual users but guys in the middle, who are incompetent as hell. They wanted basically waht would be the most expensive notepad, a freaking custom notepad for custom system that we're trying to get rid of. I'm not sure if they understand, that it doesn't cost the same as one copy of Windows Vista. It's one year's CEO salary. For feature that they will not use, do not need, and we don't even know if the users want it, and what is against the whole new integration to begin with. But they want it. The board has not accepted it, the board has said there is no funds for this feature etc. but they've already started to do the spesifications etc for it. And bloody hell, they can't even do that right.

It's not like I'm the master who knows everything, but it's quite obvious why I was the expert, but what pisses me off is that they do not take the advice I give them. This is just oen thing, it's all ****ed up from the beginning to the end, ok? Nothing is taken into account.

Ok, what they're now doing, it's basically making it all even worse. This was supposed to be THE system, but it will be just another system and all the old ones are still there, it's.. and they've like well,... this will not only be stupid adn ****ed up, this will once again change the way people have to work, for NO GOOD REASON AT ALL. This will cost like a mofo, this will not give any new benefits at all, but the opposite!

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!?!? Why do they pay me, it's not like.. as if I'm there to give them m opinion, ok that's true, but I can't work with them for much longer. I'll take 0 responsibility for what will happen, it's obvious what will happen, the fundamental things are all pointing to hell, and they do not understand it even when I quite frankly tell them so. It's like they've forgotten what they were supposed to do. Now they want added features to the old custom systems, **** that. We need to demolish them odl systems, that was the point, don't forget it. Don't get it? Well screw you, I think you're all pretty much the most incompetent people I've ever seen in your position, why do I get paid less than you do? **** you. Smash babies.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

TLDR

Apart from that: Break things.

Comment

I should break things. OK, if you'll hire an expert, why do you not listen when they prioritize things? As in, this does not work in real life, so why do you just go ahead and want it anyway? When the people who pay for it said they won't pay for it, why do you just kidn of start doing it anyway? Just because one person thinks it's a cool idea doesn't make it feasible or .. a good idea. You know? That's what I'm there for. I'm there to say this is not what you should do because A, B and C.

And it's the whole process, they're just not doing it. They're supposed to be prototyping, but the key users haven't had the chance to try out ANY versions of the system at any point of the developement. So .. are we still prototyping? Maybe we should just call it what it is and not pretend the users had a chance to affect this process, because they didn't. OK, the idea is that we avoid design flaws etc early on, this needs to be easy to use and useful. This is meant for use, this is a tool, this is what people use to do their job. So why not let them try these versions in between? That was the freaking idea to begin with...

But no, let's get a million dollar notepad no one needs and for no good reason at all to some old custom system, because someone came up with the idea. Hey, why not add some pink colours to the interface while we're at it, and make it play music, ask random questions and just .. random stuff? Ok why do you want this notepad? Give me one good reason. Oh, no reasons? Well why don't we just forget about it? WHY??? I'd like to know.

This will be the classic case for all system integration courses in the future, as when all went wrong adn we knew about it as well. It's so stupid. It's so freaking stupid I can't believe it.

In fact I should go to the board and say what I truly think about this, make them give me free hands. I'll fire every single mofo in that group, not one left. Everyone. Fired.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

It's not that people won't make mistakes.. but .. when fundamental mistakes are made along the process in every single corner, and when there is someone hired to kind of help with them, someone with actual knowledge and experience.. you know, when you start ignoring them and do the opposite, screw up all the .. Graah, I'm just so frustrated with the crew I can't make it into words. I'd like to punch them in their faces. I know I could be more.. strong about how I feel, I could say like I'm not only suggesting, I'm telling this is WRONG and a bad idea, won't work and will cost bunch of money and will never be used, and this is a mistake, please, I beg you not do go any further with this.. But I'm not going to beg. if they don't want to listen, they can go ahead. But it's not like I approved any of it. I haven't approved any of it. The only thing I'd approve right now is to fire all of them. I'm serious, fi I was in the board, I'd want to know it's all going to hell, guaranteed, I mean GUARANTEED!! There's no two ways about it.

It's worse than amateur night. They just.. they just don't anything. I know, it's not their job to know, it's my job, but hteir job is to coordinate this thing and use my knowledge, why are they not doing it, I don' tknow. I'd resign but I need the extra cash.
        In da butt.

Comment

Working...
        X