Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here Adobe, this is my left kidney- I'm British!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Adobe, this is my left kidney- I'm British!

Adobe takes UK price hikes to new level with CS3

Adobe Systems, producers of Photoshop, Acrobat and Flash, have long had a relatively chummy image compared to – say – Microsoft. But that might be changing, at least for some customers, as the company moves even beyond Redmond's position on price differentials between the UK and US.

Of course, British consumers are well-accustomed to being charged higher prices for the same product. Despite occasional efforts by the EU to prevent such milking of the price-demand curve, the baseline rule seems more and more to be that UK customers should pay the same price in pounds as Americans do in dollars. With the exchange rate almost two to one these days, that's a very expensive bitter pill to swallow.
    Click here to find out more!

The list of suspects is a long one. Microsoft Vista reportedly (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6313981.stm) costs £100 Blighty-side against $100 in the States; iTunes makes you pay substantially more for the same download if your credit card is associated with a UK address rather than a US one. And so on.

Aggrieved UK taxpayers may care to note that even the British government sometimes has to contend with this kind of thing. The F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter, for example, is listed by US sources as costing $55-60m per plane. But the British government expects to spend £10bn to get “up to 150” aircraft: £65m each, for the same plane.

But Adobe Systems has taken things to a whole new level with the release of Creative Studio 3. Adobe's website uses cookies in such a way that it's not easy to view North American prices and UK ones in the same session, but it can be done. An upgrade to Creative Suite 3 Design Premium from CS2.3 costs an American (http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/stor...nmethodOID=105) $471.90 with Californian sales tax. The exact same upgrade in the UK (https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...ionMethod=FULL) costs £546.38, equivalent to $1080.31 as of going to press. That's a markup of almost 130%, significantly beyond the usual price-doubling that Brits have reluctantly come to expect.

When contacted regarding all this, Adobe said: “We set pricing in each market based on customer research, local market conditions and the cost of doing business ... the EU has 10 major languages, 4 major currencies ... the costs of doing business in European markets are significantly higher per unit of revenue than in the US.

“It is worth pointing out that Adobe's customers set high expectations in terms of seminars, training, events and value added reseller channels. We have a long history of serving our customers in local markets the way they want to do business. We therefore incur these additional local costs and have to reflect them in our business model.”

It's possible to suggest that the language issue isn't really a flyer for UK sales; also, perhaps, that one reason why it might cost more to do business here is that you have to pay more than twice as much for the same software. As for the rest, Adobe's UK customers will no doubt decide for themselves whether this really is the way they want to do business. ®

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

An upgrade to Creative Suite 3 Design Premium from CS2.3 costs an American. The exact same upgrade in the UK costs £546.38, equivalent to $1080.31

That's one hell of difference for the same product
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

eh. let the brits suffer. i dropped fifteen hundred dollars for more or less half the equivalent goods and services.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
        eh. let the brits suffer. i dropped fifteen hundred dollars for more or less half the equivalent goods and services.
        I hope you suffer.

Comment

Arseholes.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

As long as these companies continue to rip us off in this manner, I think it is fair to vote with our feet and use pirated software
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I would never approve the use of pirated software, but in this instance I would understand it.

Comment

Of course, British consumers are well-accustomed to being charged higher prices for the same product. Despite occasional efforts by the EU to prevent such milking of the price-demand curve, the baseline rule seems more and more to be that UK customers should pay the same price in pounds as Americans do in dollars. With the exchange rate almost two to one these days, that's a very expensive bitter pill to swallow.
                What the **** is the author blubbering about?
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

If it is as overpriced as claimed, and fair price would be closer to the US$ amount divided by the exchange rate, then why aren't other software suppliers trying to move into the market?

i.e what is causing lack of competition?
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                    i.e what is causing lack of competition?
                    Adobe bought it. (Macromedia)

Comment

Arbitrage opportunity
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The solution is simple. Don't upgrade. I haven't seen any compelling need (whether I pay or not) to upgrade to CS3, any more than I see any compelling need to upgrade to Office 2007. CS2 and Office 2003 work just fine, do more than I need, and are still fully supported.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I have heard about the disturbing trend of organ sales in third world countries, Markos.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Just do what I do and "acquire" the software on the down low. The internet is a powerful force to give the finger to companies which are arrogant with costumers.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                              The solution is simple. Don't upgrade. I haven't seen any compelling need (whether I pay or not) to upgrade to CS3, any more than I see any compelling need to upgrade to Office 2007.
                              Office 2007 is very nice and not wanting to reward MS for milking a monopoly shouldn't stop you from using the software. BitTorrent.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X