No announcement yet.

Does Wealth Make Your Country Stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never heard of "basic English" as a language distinct from regular English.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

Such a language is appropriate for all trivial daily matters. But expressing complex ideas and problems resorting to science, legal affairs, diplomacy, litterature, etc, requires languages more precise and sophisticated than basic english. The ultima ratio of languages is precision not simplicity.
      i was, as you'll note, referring noot to basic English but to Russian. If you're suggesting that Russian is incapable of "expressing complex ideas and problems resorting to science, legal affairs, diplomacy, litterature, etc," that's absurd.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        I've never heard of "basic English" as a language distinct from regular English.

The 850 words (which "all denote simple concepts commonly used in everyday life") exclude the immense vocabulary needed by subjects beyond and above the everyday life, such as:

abstraction
        beauty
        concept
        gun
        illness
        museum
        novel
        obligation
        right
        theorem
        vote
        etc, etc, etc, ...
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

i was, as you'll note, referring noot to basic English but to Russian. If you're suggesting that Russian is incapable of "expressing complex ideas and problems resorting to science, legal affairs, diplomacy, litterature, etc," that's absurd.
          Excuse me, but I did not realize that the "already widely spoken language" was referring to Russian. So I was referring to basic english.
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English
            Mea culpa. I didn't realize you were actually referring to a specific language.

Comment

I love it. Simple, effective and beautiful

Hangul is indeed awesome. Pretty much like the Japanese kana, but the Koreans are smart enough to use it in almost all situations.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

Might as well learn Dutch then.
                Dutch is a much more inflection-based language (it's basically a form of Low German) then it's South African relative IIRC.

Comment

Speaking Dutch is easy. You don't even need to know the words. You just need to have your mouth full.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Dutch is a much more inflection-based language (it's basically a form of Low German) then it's South African relative IIRC.
                    Not terribly so. You can understand both if you learn either. Some nominally "Dutch" dialects are further removed from standardised Dutch (basically the Hollandian dialect) than Afrikaans.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Of course wealth makes your country stupid... well, compared to running knowledge anyway.
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Re: Does Wealth Make Your Country Stupid?

Originally posted by DaShi
                        What makes your country so stupid?
                        Stupid makes a country stupid.

Comment

im gonna learn finnish next.
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I hope you finnish soon.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

probably not, ive got endurance.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                              X