What is a troll really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a troll really?

Here on Apolyton I've always assumed that posts have to be insincere to fit with the usual notion of "Trolling".

It seems however that every definition of trolling I can find on the web ignores the part about sincerity and defines trolling as some variation on:

"posting bad things to bait people into responding"

Meaning that it is possible to be a "troll" simply because your posts made someone upset.

Is anybody here well enough acquainted with internet lore to be able to verify if originally the sincerity of a posting had anything to do with whether it can be considered a troll or not?

A troll is you.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      A troll is you.
      I considered that definition but then the word becomes totally useless.

Comment

this thread is an example of this:

meh... ive made my point.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
          this thread is an example of this:

meh... ive made my point.
          Actually I'm not interested in responses for responses sake. I want something that will lead me to a better sourced definition than the crappy wikipedia one. Then I'll register and replace the offending definition with one properly sourced.

Of course the big hole in those plans at present is that I'm not entirely certain that trolling is or has had anything to do with the sincerity of the poster.

Comment

OK, how about this?

troll
            One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument
            One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Edit: I just quoted the first definition; there are more.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              A troll is you.
              good example of a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                OK, how about this?
                troll

I 'll go with that plus an underlying intention to spam.
                On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Actually I'm not interested in responses for responses sake. I want something that will lead me to a better sourced definition than the crappy wikipedia one. Then I'll register and replace the offending definition with one properly sourced.

Of course the big hole in those plans at present is that I'm not entirely certain that trolling is or has had anything to do with the sincerity of the poster.
                  Depends on the context of the situation.

Say we have a nazi poster who loved Hitler. He posts a thread saying how great Hitler is. Knowing most people hate Hiter, he does this to provoke a reaction out of us. This is a troll, even though he is sincere in his love for Hitler.

but if he posted his Hitler admiration thread on a nazi board, it would not be a troll.

The thing about it is, "we" don't know if the poster is sincere. Either way he's trolling. But we just don't know if he believes the crap he's posting about Hitler.

That's the best I can come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                    OK, how about this?

I found tons that are equivalent to that.

The thing that doesn't sit well with me about that is that it suggests that if someone posts something that seems stupid/inflammatory whatever then it makes them a troll even if they themselves honestly don't see how it is stupid or inflammatory.

It makes no sense to debate someone whose posts are insincere but debate can be justified if they are honestly trying to make a case.

If the element of sincerity is removed from the notion of trolling the definition seems a lot less useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

good example of a troll.
                      he is, isn't he?
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Depends on the context of the situation.

Say we have a nazi poster who loved Hitler. He posts a thread saying how great Hitler is. Knowing most people hate Hiter, he does this to provoke a reaction out of us. This is a troll, even though he is sincere in his love for Hitler.

but if he posted his Hitler admiration thread on a nazi board, it would not be a troll.

That's the best I can come up with.
                        Ok for that example let's imagine two nazi apologists had some kids and home schooled them and steeped their childhood in their Nazi BS. The kids eventually start thinking for themselves and maybe post on the internet starting with their whackjob preconceived notions.

Are they trolls even though we might expect that contact and discussion with rational people might bring them around? Suppose they are actually willing to honestly debate the merits of their ****ed up ideology?

Comment

and/or to continue the Troll by arguing provocatively against each poster who raises reasonable points.
                          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Ok for that example let's imagine two nazi apologists had some kids and home schooled them and steeped their childhood in their Nazi BS. The kids eventually start thinking for themselves and maybe post on the internet starting with their whackjob preconceived notions.

Are they trolls even though we might expect that contact and discussion with rational people might bring them around? Suppose they are actually willing to honestly debate the merits of their ****ed up ideology?
                            It depends on their motivations. Which makes it difficult to discern what is and isn't a troll.

If their intentions are to honestly debate the merits of Hitler, or even to try to sway our opinions of him, then it is not a troll.

But if their motivations are to go on a normal board (assuming they know normal people are vehemently opposed to Hitler), and start spouting off how great Hitler was in an effort to get a reaction, it is at a troll.

Comment

I found tons that are equivalent to that.

The thing that doesn't sit well with me about that is that it suggests that if someone posts something that seems stupid/inflammatory whatever then it makes them a troll even if they themselves honestly don't see how it is stupid or inflammatory.

It makes no sense to debate someone whose posts are insincere but debate can be justified if they are honestly trying to make a case.

If the element of sincerity is removed from the notion of trolling the definition seems a lot less useful.
                              IMO "deliberately provocative" excludes sincere posts. Other people may call a sincere poster a troll, but he's not really, because the intent to provoke wasn't there. He's just ignorant, and possibly stupid.
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                              X