• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't remember the name...

of a crappy sf novel I once read.

It was fairly badly written and had the word "Prometheus" in the title

The plot was as follows:

1) In the Earth's original timeline, there was no WWII. The Nazis never came to power. Some time around 2050 the world is in an idyllic state. Poverty has been eliminated, wars are no longer fought, etc. There is a group of individuals who do not like this situation. They feel as though they are the natural ruling elite, but are cheated by the noncompetitive nature of their current world.

2) These individuals have a time machine that can reach back to the 1920s. They cultivate a little known figure named Adolf Hitler, and bring him to power in Germany. They feed him dozens of nuclear weapons, which he uses to destroy the USSR and conquer the UK. The US does not enter into this version of WWII. The Nazis come to control all of the Old World. The New World is free, but is severely threatened by the Nazis (the two are locked in a cold war, and the Nazis are winning).

3) In the 1960s John F Kennedy is President of the US in this timeline as well. US scientists figure out how to build a time machine, but it can only go back to the late 1930s, far too late to stop the rise of Hitler.

4) Kennedy decides that the only way to save the free world is to go back in time and do something about Hitler. They decide to stop the far future people from giving him nukes.

5) A bunch of intrigue and action

6) The nuke shipments are halted. Hitler launches his war against the USSR without them. History proceeds as we know it today.

Can anybody give me the full title and/or author?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

I'd suggest going to Amazon.com and searching books for "prometheus"

Comment

Thanks, but I already did that.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I looked for myself for approximately 10 minutes using amazon.com and google to search for a variety of different terms.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

its not in Wiki either. or MSN search.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Why'dja want to know?
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

...especially if it was "fairly bad written" as you say?

Comment

When I saw "crappy sf," I immediately though Turtledove. But I can't find anything he wrote with "Prometheus" in the title.

Comment

Because it's driving me nuts. I was reading about some random elements of Greek mythology on Wikipedia today, and one of the articles mentioned Prometheus. I decided to read the Prometheus article, as my knowledge of the Prometheus legend was limited to "Prometheus steals fire from gods. Prometheus is punished by Zeus by being tied to big rock. Prometheus escapes rock, but wears a piece of the rock in his ring so that Zeus' punishment is still technically served"

While I was reading that, the novel came into my mind. And now I can't stop thinking about it. As soon as I know the title and author I'll be fine...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Prometheus Road?

Or, are you sure it wasn't Prometheus Books, the publisher?

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Doing a google search, if you mean the novel by Bruce Balfour, then no (based on plot summary)
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ya, that's the one I ment.

Spec.
                        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          While I was reading that, the novel came into my mind. And now I can't stop thinking about it. As soon as I know the title and author I'll be fine...
                          My sympathies, I really hate it when it happens too.
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The Prometheus Man by Ray Faraday Nelson?
                            Order of the Fly
                            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Re: I can't remember the name...

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              of a crappy sf novel I once read.

It was fairly badly written and had the word "Prometheus" in the title

I can't be sure whether the fact that you cannot remember this fact or the fact that you seem to care,
                              makes me doubt your self-proclaimed status as the most intelligent apolytoner more
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X