X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco to destroy enviroment.

Yes, I knew you would go Republican.

USA Today editorial
    Our view on the environment: Plastic-bag ban full of holes San Francisco’s scheme sounds good, until you hear the costs.

The ubiquitous filmy plastic bags we use to carry our groceries are convenient, free and — no surprise — popular. But unless they're properly recycled, they'll exist on earth for 1,000 years before decomposing. And they will not go quietly.

The bags' petroleum-based plastic eventually breaks into tiny particles that contaminate soil and waterways and enter the food chain when animals accidentally ingest them. Thousands of marine animals already die each year from eating bags mistaken for food. Municipalities spend millions of dollars cleaning bags from streets, recycling systems and trees. In South Africa, wind-blown bags are jokingly called the national flower because they sprout everywhere. In the USA, we use 100 billion bags a year.

Now, the city of San Francisco has come up with an answer. The city's Board of Supervisors voted last week to outlaw plastic checkout bags at large supermarkets and chain pharmacies. The stores are encouraged to use bags made of recyclable paper, which can biodegrade in about a month, or compostable bags made of corn or potato starch, which have not yet been widely studied. It is a unique response well suited to a city that prizes its special nature — one that already has curbside pickup for recycling foodstuffs in compostable bags. But as other cities weigh San Francisco's choice, they might want to consider some of the consequences.

Plastic bags cost about a penny each, paper costs about a nickel and compostable bags can run as high as 10 cents each. The California Grocers Association, which lobbied against the ban, doubts this new industry can produce enough of the compostable bags quickly. The bags also must be segregated from regular plastic, making recycling efforts more difficult.
    Paper bags, meanwhile, generate 70% more air pollutants and 50 times more water pollutants than plastic bags, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. This is because four times as much energy is required to produce paper bags and 85 times as much energy is needed to recycle them. Paper takes up nine times as much space in landfills and doesn't break down there at a substantially faster rate than plastic does.

So what's the answer? The real culprit is the slob who litters or refuses to recycle either one — or communities that don't provide the means for him to do so. Our throwaway society is to blame as well.

The best answer to the paper or plastic question is neither. Each individual can do more to help the environment by reusing whatever bags groceries distribute or buying a canvas sack to carry goods.

Public education campaigns about littering and recycling can help more than ineffective bans on products that are used every day by billions of people worldwide. It needn't take 1,000 years to alter anti-social behavior.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Your medley of yellow text and italics made me stop reading

Comment

I cut and pasted it from another forum.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

yellow text looks okay if you are using moo3 style.

I was going to post about the ban, but didn't realize it took more energy to make paper bags.

the thing about plastic though, is it takes oil to make them.

Comment

compostable bags can run as high as 10 cents each
          I think I would pay that price. 50 cents for 5 bags of groceries, a dollar for 10 bags? Bring it on.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Better still is to use canvas bags. But good for San Fran.
            Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              the thing about plastic though, is it takes oil to make them.
              Well, it takes energy to make paperbags, and you guys use oil to produce energy...
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

not when we develop fusion power. . When that happens, we'll convert back to plastic.

Personally I hate them. I accumulate so many of them. And I always forget to take them back to the supermarket to get recycled. And I feel bad when I throw them away.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  not when we develop fusion power.
                  Who's the "we" you're talking about?
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Same ones as your "you guys". Bastards are out of control, and behind everything.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Lawrence Livermore Labs...just outside San Francisco.

Go, fusion power!

Comment

ITER is the world’s largest fusion experiment. Thirty-five nations are collaborating to build and operate the ITER Tokamak, the most complex machine ever designed, to prove that fusion is a viable source of large-scale, safe, and environmentally friendly energy for the planet.

kthxbye

Comment

Europeans and Japanese. Unfortunately, american research is lacking in this areas especially.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Lawrence Livermore Labs...just outside San Francisco.

Go, fusion power!
                            really? didn't realize we had any major labs going for it.

Comment

ITER is the world’s largest fusion experiment. Thirty-five nations are collaborating to build and operate the ITER Tokamak, the most complex machine ever designed, to prove that fusion is a viable source of large-scale, safe, and environmentally friendly energy for the planet.

kthxbye
                              IIRC that's the result of French whining more than anyone else for the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X