X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure for Cancer found.... and its Herpes

headline credit: fark.com

Herpesvirus Kills Cancer Cells, Spares Normal Ones

NYU School of Medicine researchers report in a new study that they have isolated a new version of a herpesvirus that kills cancer cells but spares normal tissue.

The finding may eventually lead to more potent anti-cancer therapies that capitalize on the ability of viruses to reproduce in the body.

In animal studies, the new version dramatically reduced the size of human prostate cancer tumors grown in mice. Moreover, it completely eradicated the tumor mass in some of the animals, and it appears not to harm normal tissue.

"We took a crippled virus and essentially made it into a more effective killer of cancer cells," says Ian Mohr, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Microbiology at NYU School of Medicine, who led the research and is an author of the study. "But we've only demonstrated this in mice. Clearly the next step is to see whether this more potent anti-tumor virus works in other animal models."

"We think this new virus offers great promise as a therapeutic strategy for the treatment of patients with prostate cancer," says Samir Taneja, M.D., Assistant Professor of Urology, an author of the study. "Eventually we hope to test this virus in humans but we still have many things to work out," says Dr. Taneja, whose laboratory is focused on finding new therapeutic strategies for treating prostate cancer.

The new study appears in the July 17 print edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Viruses are usually associated with disease. In recent years, however, scientists have turned a bane into a potential good by taking advantage of the ability of viruses to infiltrate human cells, where they can then reproduce.

Viruses have developed this ability over the course of millions of years of evolution, and they are especially agile pirates, commandeering a cell's own machinery to churn out more virus, and ultimately destroying the cell. The cell too has evolved its own defense against viral invasion.

[...]

In the new study, Drs. Mohr and Taneja and their associate Jennifer MacGregor found that the new version of the genetically engineered virus was far more effective in killing prostate cancer cells in an animal model than was the older version of the same virus.

The NYU team injected the new version of the genetically engineered herpesvirus with the added mutation directly into human prostate cancer tumors they had implanted into mice that had no immune systems.

In another group of mice, they injected the older version of the herpesvirus, and in the last group they injected an inert solution that didn't contain virus.

Thirty-four days after the treatment, the tumors injected with two million virus particles of the new version were, on average, eight times smaller than the tumors injected with the older version of the virus.

Moreover, the tumor mass had completely disappeared in up to 40% of the animals injected with the new version of the virus.

The study was supported by a grant from the Department of Defense and an award from CapCure, the foundation for prostate cancer research established by Michael Milken.

16-Jul-2001

Re: Cure for Cancer found.... and its Herpes

Wow, a stroke of luck for MRT.

Comment

Could a moderator change the title of this thread to "MRT is saved"?

edit: crosspost

Comment

I knew I had heard of this:

16-Jul-2001
        So Israel is, like, 6 years behind the rest of the world?

Makes sense.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

From Siro's Article
          The study was supported by a grant from the Department of Defense and an award from CapCure, the foundation for prostate cancer research established by Michael Milken.

16-Jul-2001

Looking at the date here...erm... what EXACTLY has been done since then to HELP people?!
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

It only appeared in fark a day ago....

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

It only appeared in fark a day ago....

So that's where you get your news from huh?

Next time get it from somewhere real, like The Daily Show.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Not that I needed saving.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

They used this on an episode of House last season.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Quit alarming.

How could a medicine for a diseases will cause another problem.

-sigh-

Comment

This clearly shows how evil planned parenthood is for distributing condoms and KILLING PEOPLE WITH CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by merailou View Post
                        Quit alarming.
                        Yeah, quit it

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

[QUOTE=loinburger;6132519]Yeah, quit it][QUOTE]

Hahaha Silly!

I didn't mean Quit that means to be silent or shut-up, what I meant is Quite which means absolutely or completely.

Its my keyboards fault. My bad!

Comment

STFU
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh good - I already have herpes
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X