Pictures from the new Burmese capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures from the new Burmese capital

You know, the North Korea of South Asia? I think they're trying to go for what they believe to be the suburban US look...

A case in point that truth is often stranger than fiction.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Broad highways and boulevards connect the new city's areas. The quality of the roads is in stark contrast to the rest of the country. There are plans to widen some highways to 12 lanes.

The ruling generals say a seven-step roadmap to democracy is moving forward, though they are still at step one. No one knows when the new parliament building could be occupied.

City Hall sits surrounded by new lawns and gardens. There are still few signs of life in most government buildings, despite the forced movement of thousands of civil servants from Rangoon.

Apartments have reliable water and electricity, unlike much of Burma, provided at no cost. But people express unhappiness at the lack of shops, restaurants and public transport.
    Last edited by DanS; March 30, 2007, 20:15.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

India should send Teh Troopz in and put Suu-Kyi in charge

But instead, we're being nice to them to that Teh Chineze don't grow too influential , and so that they hunt down Teh Assameze Insurgentz who fled and set up camp in their country.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Looks like how they build new areas in China. Aesthetics first, shops and other necessities later. At least, there the highways are used and people move in. Shops and such eventually come in the form of small, cheaply built markets in sharp contrast to the surrounding buildings. Yet, they couldn't understand why so few foreigners wanted to live in these areas.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

nm
        Last edited by Colon™; March 30, 2007, 21:01.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The secretive Burmese regime has given the outside world a glimpse of its new capital city, Naypyidaw, for the first time. Military parades were held to mark Armed Forces Day.

Naypyidaw is about 460km north of the previous capital, Rangoon. Analysts have been baffled by the decision to create a new administrative centre.

All government employees were forced to uproot from Rangoon to Naypyidaw in early 2006. Many of the workers complain of a lack of shops and restaurants.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Looks like Spain.

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

Can't readily recognize any of the structures on those photos, but maybe this is an old satellite image.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Oops, the constructions seems to be going on well to the north and west: ****ing sparsely built up, it hardly even looks like a city.

Comment

Close-up: http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/934/burmaeg7.jpg

Comment

Could you please resize those images?

You're right. Madness.

Comment

Well apparently the Generals consult witch doctors for all their decisions, for instance they've already changed the name of this new capital...

Talking of dictators, I watched the excellent portrayal of Idi Amin by Forest Whitaker in 'The Last King of Scotland' last night...
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

The Indian journalist, Siddharth Varadarajan, who visited Naypyidaw in January, described the vastness of the new capital as "the ultimate insurance against regime change, a masterpiece of urban planning designed to defeat any putative ‘colour revolution’ – not by tanks and water cannons, but by geometry and cartography"

He's got a point in that, you're not easily going to wage urban guerilla in there. It kind of looks like a oversized military camp actually.

Comment

Photoblog by Indian journalist:

These are, I believe, the first photographs of Myanmar's new capital, Nay Pyi Taw (also spelt as Naypyi taw or Naypyidaw) to be published an...

As far as I could tell, there are no restrictions on photography. The reason I couldn't walk about and shoot is very simple. The city is too huge to see anything on foot, there are virtually no taxis, and I was there for a very short time, as part of an official delegation.

Comment

looking like missle sites....are they hiding something ???
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

What a horrid place to live - Even worse than my native Glasgow.
                              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X