I need help from an internet wizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help from an internet wizard

I am curious about something. Is it possible for these two addresses to be so similar but be in Michigan and California from the same ISP?

71.83.156.223- California

71.87.72.85-Michigan

Shouldn't these both be Michigan?

Code:
    ari@creideiki ~ $ whois 71.83.156.223
    Charter Communications NETBLK-CHARTER-NET (NET-71-80-0-0-1) 
                                      71.80.0.0 - 71.95.255.255
    Charter Communications RVR-CA-71-83-128 (NET-71-83-128-0-1) 
                                      71.83.128.0 - 71.83.159.255

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2007-03-28 19:10
    # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.
    ari@creideiki ~ $ whois 71.87.72.85
    Charter Communications NETBLK-CHARTER-NET (NET-71-80-0-0-1) 
                                      71.80.0.0 - 71.95.255.255
    Charter Communications BYC-MI-71-87-64 (NET-71-87-64-0-1) 
                                      71.87.64.0 - 71.87.79.255

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2007-03-28 19:10
    # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.
    Sounds right to me. There's no guarantee of consistency between geographical and IP proximity...
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Is there any way to fake your IP when connected to someone in civ2 when someone uses netstat so it shows up as in california instead of Michigan?

Comment

DNSstuff focuses on providing software reviews, troubleshooting advice, best practices for tools, and comprehensive lists of the top business software products available on the market.

Don't know if you want a site or not . Type in an IP. Bottom option of middle column.

71.83.156.223 Walnut, California

71.87.72.85 Fenton, Mi.

AOL, for one, is shielded and all IP's show... I think it's Virginia, as point of origin.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

They're not even really similar, only the first block matches. I know that many German IPs have a first block matching mine.

If Civ2 is using direct connections between peers, which I believe is the case, masking an IP on purpose would be extremely difficult. Still, never rely on netstat and such 100%.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

SEe the problem is I am 100% sure that SunTzu is in fact Bud. EVERYTHING points to this. They even have the same damn ISP. Yet, the only thing standing in the way of absolute proof is this IP trace I'm getting.

Comment

Doesn't the USA have huge ISPs with millions of clients?

Comment

Yes, but there's just so many damn coincidences. I've never been wrong on figuring out who he is before and I'm finding it really hard to believe I'm wrong after 8 years. There has to be an explanation for this.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't want to get in the way .

Comment

You can alter your IP

to anything you want as long as you can go through a proper proxy server
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Drixnak
                      Yes, but there's just so many damn coincidences. I've never been wrong on figuring out who he is before and I'm finding it really hard to believe I'm wrong after 8 years. There has to be an explanation for this.
                      Could he playing from his laptop, while visiting the family or something?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Not even

MAC addresses are definitive.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Pchang, is there any way to get around his proxies? I even have save games fo the guy cheating just like Bud did. EVERYTHING is the same if i can just get around this god damn IP issue.

Comment

Re: You can alter your IP

Originally posted by pchang
                            to anything you want as long as you can go through a proper proxy server
                            teach me!

Comment

It's not easy to conceal yourself behind a proxy when you're using a direct connection. But nothing is definitive in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X