Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you like to be converted to after your death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you like to be converted to after your death?

Family converts dead dad into diamond

A Blackpool family has created a "fitting memorial" to deceased dad Mick Egan - by converting him into a synthetic diamond, the BBC reports.

Egan died last year of a brain haemorrhage and his wife Susan decided on a novel way of preserving his memory. A US company extracted carbon from Egan's ashes, heated it to create graphite and then compressed the result to create a rough diamond which was then cut to the family's specifications.
    Click here to find out more!

Susan Egan was evidently delighted with the result, enthusing: "We had to have a blue one because my husband's eyes are blue. I never visualised that it would be so beautiful until it arrived. He is my diamond geezer now.

"It was the right thing to do and it just brings me so much comfort that I've got it now to last forever. He loved being the centre of attention. He could light a room up when he walked in it. In some respects the diamond lights up, which is a memory of how he was."

The memorial arrived the day before daughter Celeste's wedding, allowing dad to accompany her down the aisle. She said: "It was emotional but it was nice emotion because I was pleased that it had happened and that I could have something of my Dad to take down the aisle with me. It seemed like the right thing to do for us as a family and for my Dad - we think he would have loved the idea." ®
    a diamond on my wife's necklace
    16.67%
    a nice carbon-fiber sledge for my (gran)kids
    0.00%
    just dust and food for the worms, thank you very much
    61.11%
    a golden banana
    22.22%
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Any kids of mine are likely to be grown-up when I die, so a carbon-fiber sled for the grandkids would seem more appropriate.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

option edited appropriately. please excercise your voting privilege
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

My organs are going to science, then I'd like to be cremated.

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
          My organs are going to science, then I'd like to be cremated.
          Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Mormon.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

erm...

i just want to be buried...

i guess thats the "dust and worm" option so i pick that one
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

A standard Hindu cremation for me.

Comment

Why is cremation against the bible? Is it just cuz no one in the bible ever got cremated?

Comment

I voted banana but it doesn't show.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
                      Why is cremation against the bible? Is it just cuz no one in the bible ever got cremated?
                      It's not.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Oh. Someone told me it was.

Comment

Some think it is... my dad had went off against cremation, but his family decided to (I think mostly based off cost issues).

Jon Miller
                          (I can understand no open casket, it had been a while before they found him)
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Cremation contributes to global warming making it selfish really, after all you're not alive to be bothered by the global warming. How spiteful.

I want to fertilize a tree.

Comment

Blake, by exhaling you contribute even more to global warming. The only solution is to kill yourself by climbing into a gas-tight barrel and locking it from inside.

In fact, the best way to stop global warming is to start a war which kills everyone except, say, 50 million, and bombing the survivors to stone age.
                              Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Working...
                              X