• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise and Fall of the Incas...

...as told by dung mites.

Llama dung mites track Inca fall

By Christine McGourty
    BBC science correspondent

Scientists believe they have found a new way to track the rise and fall of some ancient civilisations - by studying fossilised mites that thrive in the dung of their livestock.

A team from America, France and Britain have been studying mites from the soil in the Andes in Peru and say the tiny creatures can provide clues to changing patterns of trade and of disease epidemics through history.

The researchers made the discovery, announced in the Journal of Archaeological Science, while studying mud cores from a lake near the town of Cuzco, the heart of the former Inca Empire.

Dr Mick Frogley, of Sussex University, UK, said: "We were looking at the lake sediments for evidence of climate change, but we found so many of these mites it piqued our interest."

The tiny bugs - not much more than a millimetre across - are related to domestic dust mites often found in carpets or mattresses.

Some species live exclusively in moist grassland and pastures where they break down vegetable matter, including the droppings of grazing animals.

When the scientists started to record the numbers of mites, they obtained a plot with a very distinctive pattern.

Spanish signature

"It couldn't have been better if we'd made it up," Dr Frogley told BBC News. "It was that good."

They found a huge increase in the number of fossil mites as the empire expanded from the Cuzco area in the early 1400s. A sudden drop in numbers corresponded with the collapse of the native population after the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors.

Historical accounts from the time also document that two-thirds of the llamas in the Cuzco area died of skin diseases.

Studying ancient civilisations can be difficult when they have left no detailed written records behind. But the researchers say they now have a new tool for examining the fortunes of native populations in the Andes.

The mite methodology could have more wide-ranging applications in the study of economic and social changes in other cultures through history.

"The Inca were a test-bed," said Dr Frogley. "Now, the findings have given us confidence to look further back into the past at civilisations that pre-date the Inca.

"A lot less is known about their economic and social structures and why these other cultures disappeared from the archaeological record. The technique could help find some answers."

He said it could also be used to study the Viking occupation of Greenland, which was also an animal-based economy.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

That is just odd.

I await the Mite theory of History.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Interesting
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Any truth to the notion that the British Empire deliberately introduced disease carrying mites to the Incan Empire to forestall a global competitor's possible rise to power ?

In any case, the Germans are definitely the wronged party here.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Interesting stuff, LA. Thanks for sharing.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This theory doesn't strike me as conclusive.
            The Inca Empire only rose to bigger power exactloy in that period. It was strong at tha arrival of the Spanish except that the first wave of smallpox had killed the Inka and led to a civil war which was exploited by Pizarro. Beside that the Empire had been fine. Subsequent diseases, massacres, and maltreatment are sufficient to explain the population decline, which happened not only in the Andes but all over America. Plus, they are well documented while a mass dying of llamas is at least not named as reason for the population decline.

Ultimately, the BBC is getting a reputation for presenting and fomenting fringe theories.
            Last edited by Wernazuma III; April 6, 2007, 02:23.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I don't think it says that the Inca population decline is a result of dying llamas. Just that Inca & llama population decline happened around the same time. What's the problem with that?
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

"A sudden drop in numbers corresponded with the collapse of the native population after the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors."
                It clearly links the population decline with the dying of the llamas, or at least with the fall of their civilization:
                "A lot less is known about their economic and social structures and why these other cultures disappeared from the archaeological record. The technique could help find some answers."

However, both things happened under Spanish colonial rule, and it is just not true that the Incas - to any extent - are somewhat of a lost civilization like the Maya, for example.
                We know what happened to them: The most-cultured pig-shepherd Francisco Pizarro and his men took care of them first, then the hecenderos, mine owners exploited the communities physically, and the missionary zeal helped destroying the local traditions and identities. No dung mites needed.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Bunch of crap.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

The article doesnt really make a lot of sense.

Millions of native americans in Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia speak quichwa nowadays (the president of Ecuador is a native speaker), their identity is pretty much alive, many of their religion practices have survived, in a syncretic form with christianity, and often, in a completely pagan form, and many of them live the same way as 500 years ago.
                    It is not a dead culture. And what happened to them is well documented, the inca empire was in civil war, but still healthy when the spaniards conquered it.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                    X