• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toad Thread!

Dog-sized toad found in Australia
    By Phil Mercer
    BBC News, Sydney

A giant cane toad the size of a small dog and nicknamed Toadzilla has been captured in northern Australia.

Toadzilla is the biggest cane toad ever found in Australia's Northern Territory and weighs just under two pounds, according to an environmental group.

Environmentalists have been trying to stop the spread of the poisonous creatures across the country's tropics.

The toads were introduced from Hawaii in the 1930s in a failed attempt to control native cane beetles.

Toadzilla was caught during a community hunt in Darwin. Residents have been urged to help stop the spread of this most unwelcome of pests.

Environmental group FrogWatch, which organises hunts to destroy the toads, said the creature measured 20.5cm (8 inches) and weighed 861g (1.9lb).

"He is huge. I would hate to meet his big sister," said FrogWatch co-ordinator Graeme Sawyer.

Cane toads were first released in Queensland and have since marched in their millions across the country.

They are prolific breeders. Some estimates put their number as high as 200 million.

What is beyond doubt is their effect on the environment.

They have poisoned countless native animals, including crocodiles which have died after eating them.

The population of some snakes, lizards and small marsupials have also suffered greatly.

A Northern Territory MP once said the toads were such a menace that people should attack them with golf clubs to keep them at bay.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

I've held frogs that big before.

No biggy.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

That's not a frog.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

thats a nasty looking amphibian...
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          That's not a frog.
          That's a space station?

A bit small for a space station, actually.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Meh....

Frog....Toad...

Whatever.

Spec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I'm a frog, and I'm angry at Heresson's ban
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                I'm angry at Heresson's ban
                Me too!

Comment

Clearly, because of Heresson's banned, the superior Frog Thread is sinking, while we have to make do with inferior, toad, threads FFS
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    Clearly, because of Heresson's banned, the superior Frog Thread is sinking, while we have to make do with inferior, toad, threads FFS
                    Well, I started a frog thread in his honour, but it was deleted

Comment

Did Heresson get banned?

Oh look, a case of genetic 'manipulation' gone bad - who'd a thunk it...
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

toads are better than frogs.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Fat bastard.

Spec.

Comment

WE WANT HERESSON!
                            WE WANT HERESSON!

WE WANT HERESSON!
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That's not dog-sized either.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X