Dead People Can't Drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead People Can't Drive.

Once upon a time, I voted for a proposition that then passed, permitting people with disabity placards to park at meters without having to feed them. My "reasoning" that is was unfair to make people who had trouble walking hobble back and feed the parking meters.

What followed was my first experience with the Law of Unintended Consequences.

In 16 California Motorists Has Disabled Parking Card

SAN FRANCISCO -- The proliferation of the disabled placards that allow drivers to ignore meters and use parking spots meant for those with disabilities point to abuse of the system, officials said.

About one in 16 motorists in California carry the signs -- more than double the number who had them a decade ago. An aging population, a broader definition of the disabilities that qualify drivers for the privilege, and abuse of the system are behind the increase, said Mike Miller, a spokesman for the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

"You know that there are some people who are just looking for a free place to park," said Francine Larkrith-Thompson, Oakland's parking manager. "Everyone is up in arms about it."

Those carrying the signs can park in time-limited spots without getting a ticket, and don't have to feed parking meters, which hurts city income, officials said.

The DMV doesn't know how much fraud there is in the system. But last year, after an annual check of death records, the department canceled 25,352 permits after finding out that the people to whom they were issued had died.

Abuse of the program infuriates advocates for people with disabilities, who are afraid access to the program might be limited because of misuse.

"It's a real problem," said Jan Garrett, executive director of the Center for Independent Living in Berkeley.
    I'm not surprised to see over 25,000 disable placards belonging to dead people. I remember when I was at U.C.L.A. the parking meter area next to the medical center was always filled with doctors and nurses who'd examined themselves and found themselves disabled.

Now, 1 out of every 16 Californians is so disabled, they need to park at meters for free. Come to think of it, I'm feeling a little limpy myself.

Neither can women.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Neither can women.
      I hope they don't classify that as disability.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

being fat is. i don't see why being a woman can't be too.
        wahoo free parking when i start driving!

Comment

OMFG! People abuse handicapped cards to get spots!!

This new with the parking meter laws, how? Folks have been doing this for handicapped spots at malls and elsewhere for years.

So what. Its still a good idea to accommodate handicapped folks. Folks who are violating should be fined.

Hey, did ya know in Chicago sometime dead folks vote? We should remedy that, by, I dont know, ending elections or something.

In other news, folks who report no income dont pay income tax. As a result, some folks try to hide their income. Solution - finance govt through a head tax, forget about income!!!
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I blame Zkribbler and his flagrant abuse of voting power for this!
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Make them disabled.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                I blame Zkribbler and his flagrant abuse of voting power for this!

Make them disabled.
                SlowwHand is the reincarnation of Solomon.

Comment

It sounds like the criteria for being declared disabled is at fault.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I know someone who has a disabled parking sticker because of her back problems. She can walk okay. She does have pretty bad back problems, and has to take like 150 mg of methadone a day. Along with other painkillers if it gets real bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X