Immigration: Paying the price for following the law, volume two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration: Paying the price for following the law, volume two

In Europe, die Thoughtpolizei ensures that the price is paid through society, so every law-abiding citizen (=taxpayer) gets to pay!

Article from last December
    A failed asylum seeker jailed for child rape is to receive around £50,000 in damages after a judge ruled he had been unlawfully kept behind bars while the Home Office tried to deport him to Somalia.

He won the payout despite being offered the opportunity to go voluntarily - but he preferred to stay in a British prison with free bed and board.

The pay-out is all the more astonishing because the authorities effectively have little choice but to keep him in prison.

He cannot be let out on to the streets in Britain because he is considered a danger to the public - especially women.

But equally, it is very difficult to deported him back to Somalia, despite failing in his asylum application.

Until July no airline was willing to fly compulsory deportees there, and only one will do so now - but it is dealing with a backlog. The man himself, meanwhile, refuses to go voluntarily because he says it is too dangerous for him back home.

He has, in effect, elected to stay in Britain - yet is claiming compensation for doing so. All the while, on top of his £50,000 damages and £100,000 legal fees paid by the taxpayer, he is costing more than £37,000 a year to keep in prison.

His stay in prison beyond his sentence has already cost well over £100,000 to the taxpayer. And he is also entitled to remain anonymous in the media.

This is because the Court of Appeal follows the convention in other European courts that publicly naming asylum seekers may put them at danger from those they may be fleeing from.
    YES! Thank you, EU court bureaucracy! Sweet justice

Throw him to the dogs.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Sounds more like something from your silly EU declaration of rights.

Comment

OK, let me get this straight.

Mister A is a failed asylum Seeker in Britain for Somalia. While he is in Britain, he rapes a 13 year old girl, and is sentenced to 8 years in prison. Since he's dangerous, and refuses voluntary leave to Somalia after the end of his sentence, he's kept in jail. He uses the legal loopholes in the British system to make large sums of money, while leeching off the UK taxpayer.

The EU demands that this guy remains anonymous in the press.

==> Blame the EU

Edit: oh, that's not even a EU demand. It's the use in "other European courts" to keep asylum seekers anonymous in the press. Clearly, this anonymity is the problem here
        Last edited by Spiffor; March 22, 2007, 14:40.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Immigration: Paying the price for following the law, volume two

Originally posted by VJ
          In Europe, die Thoughtpolizei ensures that the price is paid through society, so every law-abiding citizen (=taxpayer) gets to pay!

Article from last December

YES! Thank you, EU court bureaucracy! Sweet justice
          As I see it, the problem is no airline will drop him off. Why not use a RAF C-130 (or whatever you guys use), and shove his ass out over Mog at an altitude safe from small arms and man-portable SAM/AAA fire? Problem solved all around.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

MtG

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
              OK, let me get this straight.

Mister A is a failed asylum Seeker in Britain for Somalia. While he is in Britain, he rapes a 13 year old girl, and is sentenced to 8 years in prison. Since he's dangerous, and refuses voluntary leave to Somalia after the end of his sentence, he's kept in jail. He uses the legal loopholes in the British system to make large sums of money, while leeching off the UK taxpayer.

The EU demands that this guy remains anonymous in the press.

==> Blame the EU

Edit: oh, that's not even a EU demand. It's the use in "other European courts" to keep asylum seekers anonymous in the press. Clearly, this anonymity is the problem here
              strawman

better luck next time

Comment

mtg ftw

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                As I see it, the problem is no airline will drop him off. Why not use a RAF C-130 (or whatever you guys use), and shove his ass out over Mog at an altitude safe from small arms and man-portable SAM/AAA fire? Problem solved all around.
                This would be the ideal solution, yes

Unfortunately, in modern Europe the courts are more worried about the safety of the offender than that of the victim. This case is a very good example of what's happening all over Europe at the moment. I wonder how many people must be murdered and how many little girls raped during how many years until the sentences become realistic enough to eliminate the human trash with this kind of habits from their first display of violent behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  strawman

better luck next time
                  No, I really wonder why the heck you talk about "EU court bureaucracy" in your OP. And also why you cut your quote right after the only paragraph about Europe, since this paragraph is of minimal importance in the article (it explains why the press can't divulge the guy's identity)
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

No, I am not getting into your circlejerk-games. If Apolyton has taught me anything, it's that trying to start up a serious conversation with someone who is obviously trying to misunderstand you is a waste of time which will only end up to one getting laughed at.

Comment

this is exactly the sort of bull**** that we have to put up with on a regular basis. thanks in the main, to our broken immigration system and the human rights act, rather than EU measures.

for example, here's a little quiz about what happened to a group of men from afghanistan, who in february 2000, hijacked a plane and took its passengers, several of whom were children, hostage. eventually they landed in britain at stansted airport, where after a 70 hour standoff, during which they threatened to blow up the plane and kill the hostages, they gave themselves up.

what do you think happened to these men, where they:

a) taken outside and shot;

b) locked up with the key thrown away;

c) sent back to afghanistan on the first available flight; or

d) after receiving pathetically short sentences, they won their appeal, and then claimed asylum (as did 78 others on board the plane ). they got to live in nice houses in west london, raking in state benefits, all thanks to the british taxpayer. they then incredibly won their asylum case and the subsequent appeal and are STILL bloody well here.

answers on a postcard…
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Bull**** is exactly the right kind of word. Now, my questions for you are: (a) why do you think that the politicians aren't doing anything? Because they're ignorant, because they don't have the guts for standing up for what they believe, because they're Evil, or...? What exactly is motivating their inaction? (b) have you tried to contact your district's representative in the house of commons about invididual cases like this?

The good thing about the UK is that the press is still free and non-censored, that's why we know about this case.

Comment

a) because we have a messed up system regarding immigration, and one which our government simply lacks the political will to fix. they would much rather talk tough and announce some occasional gimmicks, than actually do some serious thinking and take the tough decisions required to solve the problems.

for example at present hijacking a plane, or any other criminal act, is not a bar to an asylum claim. you work here illegally for months, even year, and the second you get caught you can still claim asylum. stuff like this should be easy to fix, but it just doesn't get done.

it's not just with immigration, the human rights act, while not an entirely bad thing, has led to a number of outrageous cases getting to court. at present the government (i.e. us) are paying out £100,000s to heroin addicts who claim that their human rights were breached by being forced to go cold turkey in prison in the 1990s. the government isn't even fighting the case, they just settled, they say to save public money, but really because they are worried (and with good reason) that they would lose should the case come to court. you really couldn't make this **** up.

b) nope. don’t see the point.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                            No, I am not getting into your circlejerk-games. If Apolyton has taught me anything, it's that trying to start up a serious conversation with someone who is obviously trying to misunderstand you is a waste of time which will only end up to one getting laughed at.
                            As you wish. However, it was neither a troll or a bait. I've seen you accusing the EU of some evil (for which the EU was irrelevant) at least once, and I'm now quite disturbed when I see you accusing the EU for something it has nothing to do with. Such as the case here, which is solely about the dysfunctions of the British judicial system.

Comment

Working...
                            X