Lies, damned lies & post-normal science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lies, damned lies & post-normal science

From the horse’s mouth — climate change theory has nothing to do with the truth. In a remarkable column in today’s Guardian Mike Hulme, professor in the school of environmental sciences at the University of East Anglia and the founding director of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research — a key figure in the promulgation of climate change theory but who a short while ago warned that exaggerated forecasts of global apocalypse were in danger of destroying the case altogether — writes that scientific truth is the wrong tool to establish the, er, truth of global warming. Instead, we need a perspective of what he calls ‘post-normal’ science:

Self-evidently dangerous climate change will not emerge from a normal scientific process of truth seeking

Post-Normal Science is a concept developed by Silvio Funtowicz and Jerome Ravetz, attempting to characterise a methodology of inquiry that is appropriate for cases where "facts are uncertain, values in dispute, stakes high and decisions urgent". It is primarily seen in the context of the debate over global warming and other similar, long-term issues where we posess less information than we would like.

What a ridiculous path our science is going down at the moment. Post-normal science of course let to the drowning of witches in the 16th century - where "facts are uncertain, values in dispute, stakes high and decisions urgent".

Despicable
    www.my-piano.blogspot

*yawn*
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Summary, please.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
        Summary, please.

What a ridiculous path our science is going down at the moment. Post-normal science of course let to the drowning of witches in the 16th century - where "facts are uncertain, values in dispute, stakes high and decisions urgent".
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Mucho gracias, Doddler. Much clearer now than before.
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Would I be out of line if I said:

WTF Doddler?
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I agree with this post.
              What?

Comment

If Doodler thinks the opinions of a couple of crackpots spewing lame philosophy of science have the support of most scientists he is drunk, stupid, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                  If Doodler thinks the opinions of a couple of crackpots spewing lame philosophy of science have the support of most scientists he is drunk, stupid, or both.
                  "Mike Hulme, professor in the school of environmental sciences at the University of East Anglia and the founding director of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research"

Crackpot? You said it..
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

"when im doing my science..."
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                    X