Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration: Paying the Price for Following the Law

Everyone:

The following is an op-ed piece I found while perusing the raw news wires.

It offers an interesting point on the immigration debate — namely, Americans who might be mouthing the platitudes about doing business only with law-abiding operations, but then not following through on them when they find out it actually takes more out of their pocketbooks in order to do so. After all, employing legal workers a living wage doesn't come cheap.

Anyway, read on and post your thoughts on the subject:

A small-business owner discovers doing the right thing can have a steep price

By Mark Cromer
    MCT Forum

Kirsten Stewart is not the kind of American that President Bush and the Democratic congressional leadership is likely to bring up as they renew their push for so-called comprehensive immigration reform.

Stewart is not the personification of any of the cliches that Bush and the Democratic leadership enjoy tossing about; she is not an impoverished illegal immigrant "living in the shadows." Nor is she a businesswoman who can’t seem to find an American willing to work hard for a fair wage.

To the contrary, she is an example of the steep price America pays in integrity when its government refuses to enforce its laws, allowing many of its citizens to violate it with absolute impunity.

Stewart is a landscape professional trying to do the right thing by refusing to hire illegal immigrants — a decision that’s effectively putting her out of business.

As a 40-year-old, college-educated woman living in Santa Monica, Calif., Stewart has pursued her dream of running a landscape design business for four years, the last two of them on her own.

Even in the highly competitive market for well-heeled clients in L.A.’s Westside neighborhoods and along the glittering Hollywood foothills, Stewart was confident that her design talents and strong word-of-mouth referrals would guarantee her a solid customer base for her business.

It almost certainly would have, except for one thing: she won’t hire illegal immigrants for her work crews.

When she submits a bid to a prospective client, Stewart calculates her labor rate at $15-an-hour or more depending on the job; it’s a decent wage with which she knows she can hire American citizens. Paying a living wage to her workers is also at the core of the progressive political identity she forged while living in San Francisco.

But she has watched that egalitarian vision end up in the garbage bin as competing designers submit bids with radically lower labor costs — a strong sign they are using illegal immigrants for their work crews.

When she first moved to Santa Monica in 2002, Stewart says she was oblivious to the problem and consequently hired illegal immigrants as well.

Yet it wasn’t long before she began to feel that there was something inherently wrong with her hiring illegal immigrants. She says it became clear that it hurt her community more than it helped her bottom line.

"I realized that my foreman, who has been in the country a long time, doesn’t have any desire to be a citizen. He has such a strong allegiance to Mexico," she says.

But it was Stewart’s pregnant nanny from Brazil, also without papers, that pushed her to make a dramatic change.

"She told me that she was so happy that she was having her baby here because (her child) would get a real Social Security number. She told me how surprised she was at all the ‘free’ neonatal care she was getting and all the other ‘free’ health services," Stewart says. "That’s when the light bulb went off."

Stewart fired her nanny, stopped hiring her foreman and vowed she would only use workers legally in the country.

Almost immediately, she started losing bids.

In a bitter irony, Stewart says many of her prospective clients are dyed-in-the-wool leftists who embrace living-wage ordinances and stronger worker’s rights laws.

"They will invariably ask me why my labor costs are so high," Stewart says. "I tell them point-blank it is because I only use legal workers, either citizens or legal residents. I’ve had a few prospects just stare at me silently after I have told them that, like I have done something wrong. Others have just said ‘OK, well thanks for the bid.’"

The experience of trying to do the right thing has left her feeling helpless and embittered.

"I can’t compete by playing honestly in an industry where most everyone else is breaking the rules," Stewart says. "And they aren’t breaking the rules because Americans won’t do these jobs. They are breaking the rules because they don’t want to pay a decent wage."

Stewart is bracing herself as the cliche-riddled debate over illegal immigration kicks back into high-gear, knowing that she is likely to hear politicians rail about a broken system.

"The system isn’t really broken at all," she sighs. "The system would work just fine if the people had the honesty to play by the rules of the system and if the government had the guts to enforce the rules on those who choose to break them."

Mark Cromer is a writer for Californians for Population Stabilization. Readers may write to him at CaPS, 1129 State Street, Suite 3D, Santa Barbara, Calif. 93101; Web site: www.capsweb.org; e-mail: mrcromer@aol.com.
    Honesty? Play by the rules? Wow. Those are such archaic concepts in today's hip, cool and oh-so-modern and partisan world. And we're damned in the end because of it.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Summary?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Of course conservatives are going to want to have their cake and eat it too with examples like this article: They'll use it as a prime example of how paying living wages will bring about the end of the capitalist market and turn us all into Red China or somesuch nonsense ... but fail to mention the fact that her business is failing because everyone else around her is using illegal immigrant labor that they pay a bag of peanuts and a soda to as a daily wage, and still conservatives will defend those businesses by refusing to punish them for hiring illegal immigrants in the first place for fear of not getting donations from them come election season.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

The op-ed piece is quite short, Doddler. Besides, I pretty much sum it up in the introduction I posted.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
          The op-ed piece is quite short, Doddler. Besides, I pretty much sum it up in the introduction I posted.

Gatekeeper
          Summary please, this thread is pretty pointless otherwise. Anyone can post a mangled spiel of unreadable text.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Hook on Phonics didn't work for thee!

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
              Hook on Phonics didn't work for thee!
              For whom?
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

You obviously know the English language, Doddler, the same language the op-ed piece is posted in. "Mangled spiel of unreadable text," indeed.

Odds are, you're just lazy or disagree with the writer. If the latter's the case, why not just come out and say it? No one's going to shoot you.

Gatekeeper

Comment

It's a play on words, Doddler. But then again, given you couldn't read the very short summary GK gave in the OP, I wouldn't expect you to know THAT either.

Comment

You obviously know the English language, Doddler, the same language the op-ed piece is posted in. "Mangled spiel of unreadable text," indeed.

Odds are, you're just lazy or disagree with the writer. If the latter's the case, why not just come out and say it? No one's going to shoot you.

Gatekeeper
                    Im lazy and disagree with it
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Well, there we go. All's clear now, Doddler. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

OK, anybody else who wishes to jump in can do so. C'mon! I know you want to! And you can't say I'm not doing my part trying to breathe life into the ailing OTF!

Gatekeeper

Comment

Well, there we go. All's clear now, Doddler. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

OK, anybody else who wishes to jump in can do so. C'mon! I know you want to! And you can't say I'm not doing my part trying to breathe life into the ailing OTF!

Gatekeeper
                        Blame Ming
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Ming's not here, we'd rather blame xfrodobagginsx.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                            Ming's not here, we'd rather blame xfrodobagginsx.
                            Glad to see you remembered the xs.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Forget the legal/illegal stuff and assume capitalism works (a big assumption, to be sure). Here's what we learned:

The US consumer market has determined the value of landscape labor to be maybe $5/hour. A business woman who charges triple this price has trouble finding consumers. And we're surprised...why?

Oh, right, because that $5/hour figure is for illegal labor. So we get rid of the illegals. And labor costs triple -- or more than triple, since their now being pushed upward even further by a labor shortage. Do we really think there's still the same amount of work for landscapers? Econ 101 says no way. So is this businesswoman, in fact, any better off?

I applaud her quixotic desire to play by the rules in a fundamentally rigged game. But since her solution wouldn't solve the general problem anyway (which is that Americans don't want to work for the wages Americans are willing to pay), it's not of much value. Sucks for her.

All this really is is a giant advertisement for immigration reform, including amnesty and maybe a guest worker program (yes, I just agreed with Bush about something; cross that off the Armageddon Watch list). Everybody with a US job should be given legal status, immediately. If our economy wants you here, doing something legal, it's pinheaded for the government to want otherwise.

edit: Wait...she fired her foreman for feeling more attached to his home country than to a place that refused to let him become a legal immigrant, even though he had a job? And her nanny for marvelling at how much better our social services were than Brazil's? What a f*cking b*tch.
                              Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; March 21, 2007, 04:41.
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X