Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbox 360 Elite ("Zephyr") coming, price cuts also ($229 core)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
    OMG, theyre pursuing a strategy of bundling stuff, to use their position in one market to gain dominance in another market.

Where have I heard of that before?

Of course MS had sufficient dominance, network economies, etc to keep making oodles of money in their core market even as they leveraged it. Sony seems to be buying the new market at price of losing their dominance of the old market.

Probably not what they had in mind, but maybe not the disaster some are painting.
    This might have been insightful had it not been said a million times by a million people on these very forums already.

The difference between MS of bundling IE with Windows and Sony bundling Bluray with the PS3, is bundling IE with Windows didn't cost Windows its virtual monopoly...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I dont have the time to do an exhaustive analysis of the relative frequency of freezes on the two formats.
      So why are you making an ass out of yourself by commenting on it to someone who owns both platforms and experiences freezes on one but not the other?

What I have read is that on tech grounds overall, theyre pretty much even. Blurays advantage was more films by more studios, and HD's was a lower price. Which apparently is where the PS3 comes in.
      HD DVD also has the advantage of superior interactivity features in iHD (Bluray's competitor of BRJ isn't even finished yet), standard features like dual video decoders on each player for PiP special features, internet connectivity and content support, etc.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Or, its a modestly priced Bluray player, with a next gen console attached.
        Wow, a Bluray player. I can store that next to the minidisc recording system Sony tried to sell me before. Only I didn't get one, and I'm not getting a Bluray player either. Especially not if these freezing problems Asher's talking about are real. I'll gladly stick to "old" DVDs rather than buy some overpriced brand-new POS to keep up with the joneses.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok

Wow, a Bluray player. I can store that next to the minidisc recording system Sony tried to sell me before. Only I didn't get one, and I'm not getting a Bluray player either. Especially not if these freezing problems Asher's talking about are real. I'll gladly stick to "old" DVDs rather than buy some overpriced brand-new POS to keep up with the joneses.
          Im not in the market for an HD DVD player either, OR a next gen console. Im merely trying to examine Sony's business strategy, and value proposition.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Why would you go and do that, seeing as it's obvious?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
              ... or rather wait for the winner of the next format wars.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                Why would you go and do that, seeing as it's obvious?
                there original strategy has been known for some time. Whats interesting is to say how its playing out. In particular to see what they can salvage from their poor launch.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• It's interesting how much your arguments have changed in the course of a thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

... or rather wait for the winner of the next format wars.

here you go
                    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by laurentius
                      here you go
                      Those figures are volatile...if you'll recall they were massively in favour of HD DVD not too long ago.

It's also a clear PR ploy, as I'm sure you know Amazon had a massive 50% off all Bluray titles sale recently to inflate sales. The sales have trended south since then, while HD DVD are trending up...

HD DVD has some high profile content coming up that Bluray doesn't, as well, such as The Matrix trilogy. HD DVD players are also coming down in price quickly, such as the new $399 Toshiba HD DVD player.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• yeah I remember it was you who first posted the link to that place. While the figures might be volatile the trend is crystal clear. Bluray is the medium of the next generation. The sales of PS3 will only accelerate this trend and I think that effect is already showing.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by laurentius

yeah I remember it was you who first posted the link to that place. While the figures might be volatile the trend is crystal clear. Bluray is the medium of the next generation. The sales of PS3 will only accelerate this trend and I think that effect is already showing.
                          Look at the trend of the graph I posted. Notice it is downwards for Bluray?

Comment

• I do greatly notice the downward trend for Blu-ray... it seems to be inching back to where it was right before 3/5.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Yeah, the HD-DVD is stuck well below the Bluray that is again strongly widening the gap to it.

Notice how the HD-DVD figure points down and the Bluray up

- Paul Valery

Comment

• If check out the other figures on that site and you might agree with my assesment.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                                X