Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbox 360 Elite ("Zephyr") coming, price cuts also ($229 core)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• At least you euro and aussie people shouldn't have any trouble getting a PS3... because nobody is buying them

The launch of Sony's PlayStation 3 games console got off to a feeble start last night last night with officials, media and security outnumbering customers for most of the evening.

Over 500 retailers around the country threw open their doors as the clock struck 12:00am, expecting the frenzy that accompanied the games console's overseas debuts.

But most stores were virtually deserted, despite the 20,000 pre-orders Sony said it had received.

Even at the official launch event held at Myer's Pitt Street store in Sydney's CBD and attended by Sony's local managing director, Michael Ephraim, media and security outnumbered PS3 fans until at least 11:00pm.

At midnight, about 40 PS3 buyers had arrived to collect their consoles, causing distress for the army of camera crews who turned up expecting to capture launch mayhem.

Desperate producers unashamedly asked the crowd to fake excitement when the cameras were rolling, while a team from 2Day FM let out bogus cheers to convince their radio listeners that a launch extravaganza was underway.

The scene was a stark contrast to the US launch in November last year, where one man was shot by thieves and fights broke out over limited stock.

In Britain, where the PS3 was also launched today, two major Oxford Street stores in London - Game and HMV - cancelled their launch events amid police fears of muggings.

Danny Zarka, 31, was first in line to collect his PS3, which was handed to him personally by Mr Ephraim and Myer CEO Bernie Brookes.

The advertising executive from Pyrmont was shocked because he had arrived after 9pm, yet still found himself at the front of the queue.

"I'm surprised there aren't more people here, I thought the place would be packed," he said.

Comment

• Comment

• Here's the launch lineup in France:

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Microsoft rented a boat to cruise by the lineup.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• They've had a lot of hilarious "stunts", I guess you would say (buying out all the ad space around Sony products, etc)

Comment

• Originally posted by Verto
                They've had a lot of hilarious "stunts", I guess you would say (buying out all the ad space around Sony products, etc)
                My personal favorite now is them sending CVG the difference in price between the 360 and PS3 in beer:

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Umm....okay?

I agree completely with him. Lockups are unacceptable in DVD playback.

I hope you are aware your post has absolutely nothing to do with any game console. This is why you can't troll...
                  see posts 65, 71, 76, and 77.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    see posts 65, 71, 76, and 77.
                    Do you seriously not comprehend that what you posted is completely and totally unrelated to the Xbox 360 or PS3?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
                      I'm no "minion" of Asher's (I'd rather have a Wii), but how is the PS3 anything more than an overpriced X360 with different and generally less popular games?
                      Or, its a modestly priced Bluray player, with a next gen console attached.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Or, its a modestly priced Bluray player, with a next gen console attached.
                        The Xbox 360 with HD-DVD is the same price. The difference is, if you don't want a high def DVD player, you don't have to pay for it.

Comment

Do you seriously not comprehend that what you posted is completely and totally unrelated to the Xbox 360 or PS3?
                          Somebody mentioned bluray as an advantage of the PS3. You indicated the PS3 is a buggy video player. You specifically mentioned freezes. If it turns out that ALL HD players are subject to freezes, that argument against the value of Bluray on the PS3 would seem to go by the wayside.

Comment

Somebody mentioned bluray as an advantage of the PS3. You indicated the PS3 is a buggy video player. You specifically mentioned freezes. If it turns out that ALL HD players are subject to freezes, that argument against the value of Bluray on the PS3 would seem to go by the wayside.
                            Are you serious? Wow...

So because a couple early revisions of 1st gen players froze last year, that makes it okay for the PS3's bluray playback to exhibit frequent freezing? Not only do not ALL HD players freeze, the vast majority do not. The ones that do are slammed in reviews, such as your example.

The links you show do not point to fundamental problems with HD DVD on the 360 freezing. In fact, it does not unless you put a subwoofer right next to it which shakes the thing during audio-intense scenes...

Comment

The Xbox 360 with HD-DVD is the same price. The difference is, if you don't want a high def DVD player, you don't have to pay for it.
                              OMG, theyre pursuing a strategy of bundling stuff, to use their position in one market to gain dominance in another market.

Where have I heard of that before?

Of course MS had sufficient dominance, network economies, etc to keep making oodles of money in their core market even as they leveraged it. Sony seems to be buying the new market at price of losing their dominance of the old market.

Probably not what they had in mind, but maybe not the disaster some are painting.

Comment

Are you serious? Wow...

So because a couple early revisions of 1st gen players froze last year, that makes it okay for the PS3's bluray playback to exhibit frequent freezing? Not only do not ALL HD players freeze, the vast majority do not. The ones that do are slammed in reviews, such as your example.

The links you show do not point to fundamental problems with HD DVD on the 360 freezing. In fact, it does not unless you put a subwoofer right next to it which shakes the thing during audio-intense scenes...

I dont have the time to do an exhaustive analysis of the relative frequency of freezes on the two formats. What I have read is that on tech grounds overall, theyre pretty much even. Blurays advantage was more films by more studios, and HD's was a lower price. Which apparently is where the PS3 comes in.

Comment

Working...
                                X