No announcement yet.

Best Philosopher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about the best, but the one philosopher who deeply resonates with me is Schopenhauer.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Philosophy is like a Bill proposal. You'll fill it up with good stuff, but at the end, you'll finish it with what YOU want, something others don't want. Try to make it ambivalent on purpose, argue with the goods and "You don't want these good things? OK, idiot!" and then downplay the negatives you want, "nothing is free". This is a great usage of power, this gives you power if you didn't have it. If you see life as a series of choices, the one who makes the proposals and visualizes the heuristics of your path to you is the one with ultimate power. By giving you the options he also limits your freedoms. Now go and choose the less negative for you, but I'll always get my way.

So this is like philosophy, on the other hand it has ethics in it, and that's basically oppressive. Shut up. Dont' talk. I hate ethics as a tool of power. No matter what ethics you push, it usually is about control.

Metaphysics is OK and epistemology is cool and logic makes it good enough to be kept alive. Otherwise we should trash it. The problem is, many of the wannabe philosophers focuses on ethics. THat's like hey, let's create yet another new ideology. Or even a religion. Doesn't matter, but let's be strong headed about it.

Philosophers have always been plagued with tendencies towards pedophilia. I don't get how so many great ones always argue with the whole idea of age of consent. Yeah, if you really make it an abstract, then sure go and argue about it, but more likely it's a weak retroactive attempt to justify your own little boy molesting, or ageless love, what ever you like to call it. Of course you'd go against what we know about developing self image, emotions and stuff in the young age because that would be science. No, from the ideological point of view, let's **** all these little boys and claim they wanted it and that's why there's nothing wrong in it. That's the true face of philosophers in the ethics game.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Erich Fromm: analyzed the relationship between society's mode of production and people's psychological character. Influenced by Marx and Freud, proponent of secularism and positive freedoms.

Books:
        The Fear of Freedom (1941)
        The Sane Society (1955)
        The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness (1973)
        To Have or to Be (1976)

Quotes:

Destructiveness is the outcome of unlived lives.
        In the nineteenth century the problem was that God is dead. In the twentieth century the problem is that man is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

I would guess he is not as recognized in Anglo-Saxon circles ( ),
          It helps if you were brought up Catholic; this of Pacal's has always resonated with me, especially because I read it at about the same time I read Joyce's 'Portrait of the Artist' and the sermon on Judgment Day :

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie.
          it contrasted quite well with:

-- Last and crowning torture of all the tortures of that awful place is the eternity of hell. Eternity! O, dread and dire word. Eternity! What mind of man can understand it? And remember, it is an eternity of pain. Even though the pains of hell were not so terrible as they are, yet they would become infinite, as they are destined to last for ever. But while they are everlasting they are at the same time, as you know, intolerably intense, unbearably extensive. To bear even the sting of an insect for all eternity would be a dreadful torment. What must it be, then, to bear the manifold tortures of hell for ever? For ever! For all eternity! Not for a year or for an age but for ever. Try to imagine the awful meaning of this...
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

That's an interesting comparison. To be fair, I never truly bothered with Pascal, outside of what has been taught of him in my lectures. Spinoza is my man for now.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
              I really like Nietzsche; also Kierkegaard.
              I seriously would say Jesus; but I wouldn't call him a philosopher.
              I don't see how someone can appreciate Jesus and Nietzsche. They appear diametrically opposed to one another.

I detest Nietzsche.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

I don't see how someone can appreciate Jesus and Nietzsche. They appear diametrically opposed to one another.

I detest Nietzsche.
                I do like Nietzsche as a philosopher, eventhough I reject what he says. But his way of reasoning is consistent imho and the conclusions he draws are right. It's just that he has the wrong starting-assumption.
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I really like Nietzsche
                  Nietzsche
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie.

I used to know a little French. Now I look at that and recognize everything up to the last word

Comment

Nietzsche

Nietzsche's sister
                      Blah

Comment

Nietzsche's sister sucked
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          Jesus, because he changed my heart.
                          He did not.

The script did.

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

I detest Nietzsche.
                            They're not.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Well in a sense, Jesus would agree that God did die.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                Nietzsche's sister sucked
                                Exactly, and she was so good at it.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X