Privately-funded rocket ready for 2nd try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privately-funded rocket ready for 2nd try

As some of you might remember, I've mentioned that there have been no successful privately-funded orbital rocket developments. All orbital launch vehicles to date has been government funded. SpaceX, in Los Angeles, is trying to become the first privately-funded success story with the launch of the Falcon 1. This is SpaceX's second attempt. the first attempt last March ended in the ocean.

The launch is scheduled for 4:00 PM Pacific US time, 23:00 GMT (3 hours from now). The webcast will begin at roughly T-60 minutes.

Below is a picture of the rocket during its first attempt on its tropical island launch pad (Marshall Islands). As you can see, these folks take an extremely minimalist approach on infrastructure in order to reduce costs.

Here's the OTF thread from last year's try.

Go Falcon!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanS; March 19, 2007, 16:09.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

There were the launching by Europeans earlier, but they were by a consortium of Euro governments, right?

The missile's name was something like the Ariel or the Aryan -- -- ?

Comment

The last launch on the Ariane V was on March 11 launching Skynet for the Brits.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Isn't Sea Launch private?
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          There were the launching by Europeans earlier, but they were by a consortium of Euro governments, right?

The missile's name was something like the Ariel or the Aryan -- -- ?
          The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
            Isn't Sea Launch private?
            Using Russian Soviet-funded and Ukraine/Russian gov't assembled launch vehicles.

Comment

But if the money comes from a private source it is still privately funded, no?
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Seems like a stretch to call Sea Launch's development privately-funded. Hardly a bolt on the rocket doesn't have its heritage in the Space Race.

The Falcon 1 is a clean-sheet design having no heritage of any sort beyond a very few parts.

Comment

Scheduled hold.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's the play-by-play. Looks like we might have a scrub today, due to difficulties obtaining telemetry data.

Comment

Arent those trees too near to the rocket?
                      Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Nah, it doesn't make any difference. A rocket this size is a pretty good neighbor.

Still on hold. They're probably making the decision whether to scrub today's launch.

Comment

New launch time of 7:45 pm Eastern US. About 30 minutes from now.

Comment

T -25.

Comment

The time is local.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X