Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Simpsons Movie (and the problem with being both crazy and a member of Congress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Simpsons Movie (and the problem with being both crazy and a member of Congress)

From the DC Examiner:

Congressmen battle to represent Homer Simpson

The long-awaited Simpsons movie debuts this summer. Part of the hook for the animated feature is that the filmmakers say they’ll reveal what state the fictitious “Springfield” is a part of.

For some added incentive, the film’s producers want the many real-life Springfields across the country to compete to host the film’s premiere.

Chad Pergram, a radio reporter for Capitol News Connection, interviewed several members with Springfields in their districts last week. According to Pergram’s report, the favorite so far appears to be Springfield, Ore., because Simpsons creator Matt Groening hails from nearby Portland.

“I think they live just down the street from me, actually,” Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore said. “I live in Springfield.”

Portland’s Rep. David Wu, D-Ore., said his wife, Michelle, went to school with Groening.

“Matt Groening bases a lot of his characters on Oregon,” Wu said.

If enthusiasm is any indication, Oregon’s members have a leg up on those who represent Springfield, Ohio.

Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, says he has hardly ever watched the show. “It’s cartoons, right?” he asks. “Homer Simpson, if he’s a good guy, he lives in Springfield. If he’s kind of nuts, he doesn’t.”

Rep. David Hobson, R-Ohio, was even less excited.

“I know my daughters don’t allow their children to watch it,” said Hobson, who said he won’t lobby for his city. “I’m not really excited about the Hollywood types,” he added. “That doesn’t stir me up.”

The D.C. area’s most powerful Republican House member, Rep. Tom Davis, represents Springfield, Va. He hopes that our Springfield — Mixing Bowl and all — will get the nod.

“Oh there are Mr. Burnses and there are comic book guys — and we have huge traffic jams” in Springfield, Davis said.

Of course, other states may yet have a say. Missouri, Massachusetts and Illinois, to name a few, also claim prominent cities named Springfield.
    It's true. The Simpsons are destroying the fabric that holds America together.
    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

LOL... I thought the days of people being offended by the Simpsons was looooong gone.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

simpsons

Comment

I thought the days of people being offended by the Simpsons was looooong gone.

I thought the days of people watching the Simpsons were long gone.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

no ways!

Comment

(to the objections to the movie)
            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Old Simpsons were good. I stopped watching current Simpsons a couple years ago.

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                I thought the days of people being offended by the Simpsons was looooong gone.

I thought the days of people watching the Simpsons were long gone.
                Those few episodes I've seen makes me think that's not weird.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Don't these guys who seem not to know or care about the show realise that they are professing their blind cultural ignorance? The Simpsons is perhaps the most successful and internationally enjoyed part of American culture. I kid you not - wherever someone is or whereever they are from, ALL peoples come together into the common room to watch The Simpsons.

It's like not knowing who Hasselhoff is, fer Chrissake.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

i'm offended because the writing is so crappy.

Be funnier dammit!! (quote from Homer)

and I miss Phil Hartman's characters. rip

A movie would have been better when they were at their peak. But oh well. And i don't like movies of tv shows. I didn't care for the beavis and butthead movie that much, nor that family guy movie (though that was direct to video).

As for Springfield, how can they reveal that. Based on the geography presented in many episodes, no corresponding springfield exists in the U.S. One episode has a huge mountain for Homer to climb. Another has a beach nearby.

Comment

A movie would have been better when they were at their peak.

Yeah, this movie is about ten years too late.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

And there's Shelbyville...
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

This sounds more like a Shelbyville kind of idea...
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

It would be great if the movie signaled the end of the show.

Too bad both are so late.

I'll still see it, of course. I never watch the show anymore, despite the first 8 seasons being my favorite things on TV.
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Re: The Simpsons Movie (and the problem with being both crazy and a member of Congress)

Originally posted by Admiral
                              The long-awaited Simpsons movie debuts this summer. Part of the hook for the animated feature is that the filmmakers say they’ll reveal what state the fictitious “Springfield” is a part of.
                              Any Simpson fan knows that it's Kentucky... (revealed in the Behind the Laughter episode.)

So Congess can stop wasting time on this and get back to work
                              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
                              X