Living In America....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living In America....

With all apologies to the sublime and deceased genius of James Brown...

A new exhibition of some fragile and old watercolours at the British Museum lets us see what English travellers encountered on their voyage to the New World.

A New World: England’s first view of America

The extraordinary watercolours of John White gave the Elizabethan world its first glimpse of America, ultimately shaping its view of the New World. This exhibition focuses on more than 70 watercolours made by White on the voyages to Virginia (now North Carolina) in the 1580s. These images are the earliest visual record by an Englishman of the flora, fauna and people of America and provide us with an idea of how fascinating this strange New World must have been to Europeans of the late 16th century.

The sort of thing that would be frowned upon by Mr. Falwell
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

I think Falwell would approve. The woman in the middle is obviously a witch, who the virtuous tribe is preparing to tie to a stake and burn alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
      I think Falwell would approve. The woman in the middle is obviously a witch, who the virtuous tribe is preparing to tie to a stake and burn alive.

Prepare yourself Zkribbler- look at their arms and their body language- there's definitely some licentious group hugging goin' down.

Tattoos- they're so 16th Century....
      Attached Files
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
      X