Americans: Explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
    In small countries, you can import more than what you export, if you cover that deficit with dollars entering the country thru terrorism or foreign investment.
    Worked for Afghanistan.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I think selling drugs gives Afghanistan more money than terrorism
      I need a foot massage

Comment

In small countries, you can import more than what you export, if you cover that deficit with dollars entering the country thru tourism or foreign investment.
        Tourism dollars spent in your country are already counted as service exports.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Americans: Explain

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Errr...that's not an explanation. It's a consequence...
          Wouldn't that be causally explained by the US doing everything to keep oil being traded in USD?
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Tourism dollars spent in your country are already counted as service exports.
            Then how does the USA do it?

(import for twice the money they export)
            I need a foot massage

Comment

They don't import twice the money that they export.

They import twice the cash value in goods and services that they export.

The balance is maintained by "exporting" capital, basically like "exporting" cold hard cash.

This usually results in the currency of the capital exporting country being depreciated so the situation corrects itself.

Comment

The balance is maintained by "exporting" capital, basically like "exporting" cold hard cash.

No.

What happens is that the excess cash is almost immediately traded for US securities, property etc.

The US is not bleeding hundreds of billions of dollars in greenbacks every year. What they are bleeding are capital and financial assets
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No.

What happens is that the excess cash is almost immediately traded for US securities, property etc.

The US is not bleeding hundreds of billions of dollars in greenbacks every year. What they are bleeding are capital and financial assets
                  US securities and property are still capital. I said it was basically like exporting cash. The difference is only important when you consider the necessity of expanding the money supply by printing more notes if it wasn't immediately exchanged to other forms of capital.

In any event the currency would still be usually expected to depreciate under such circumstances. The currency is in theory backed up by the capital and financial assets available to the currency issuing country.
                  Last edited by Geronimo; March 18, 2007, 20:21.

Comment

Assets appreciate.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Not bleeding. Our capital and financial assets are growing faster than the amount bought by foreign investors/governments.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

US securities and property are still capital. I said it was basically like exporting cash.
                        I'm sorry. I misread your post.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                          Our capital and financial assets are growing faster than the amount bought by foreign investors/governments.
                          This is true, but vaguely irrelevant. Exporting capital and financial assets puts a damper on future US growth.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Right.

Stubborn determination on the part of mother England to kick Canada out of her basement so it would finally have to go set up it's own flat.
                            Correct in part, but not entirely.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: Re: Americans: Explain

And fifth, what on earth do the 235,654 employees of the Department of Veteran Affairs do?

I presume they take care of veterans, esp. invalids.
                              Not according to current reports.......
                              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                              X