A great moral quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great moral quandary

I have been very much against the use of torture in order to gain confessions in places like Guantanamo bay believing that they violate the basic liberties which the western world has been built upon. I still believe this, however, I find myself questioning this belief in certain limited circumstances.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the Al Qaeda Mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, recently made an open confession in court that he was indeed responsible for plotting 9/11 from start to finish as well as 30 other major terrorist attacks. Most of which were before 9/11 but some of which were after 9/11. the vast majority of the post 9/11 plots were blocked and defeated by an international effort to stop terrorist attacks before they happened. Based upon what we know it is prudent to believe that most of those attacks would have been prevented even without any new information from prisoners in Guantanamo Bay but some of them likely were stopped, or at least the people attempting to stop them made great headway, due to information gained in Guantanamo Bay. Some of that information possibly, maybe even likely, came from the torture or at least unethical treatment of terrorist suspects.

I wonder how many lives must an act of torture save before we consider it an acceptable trade off. We know that
    Khalid Sheikh Mohammed & Al Qaeda plotted to attack targets across Britain including Heathrow airport, Big Ben and Canary Wharf. It is known that these attacks were stopped though at this time we do not know if information gained at Guantanamo Bay stopped them though it is reasonable to suspect that it played a part.

The list of stopped terrorist attacks is long... The Muslim plot to destroy the Vatican was prevented, the Muslim plot to attack allied ships at the British colony of Gibraltar was stopped, the Muslim plot to attack Los Angles International Airport (LAX) was prevented, as were numerous others. Most of that can be chalked up to good police work, incompetitant terrorists, and other factors but a certain percentage might have been prevented due to intelligence gained by unsavory methods such as those used by the Bush administration or by allied nations such as Egypt or Saudi Arabia. I wonder morally is this acceptable? Is it better to save lives and prevent terrorist attacks using information gained by torture or is it better to trust solid western values and hope that they are enough? What say you?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

but some of them likely were stopped, or at least the people attempting to stop them made great headway, due to information gained in Guantanamo Bay.

How do you know this?

Comment

That is the claim made by the Bush administration. It was, of course, not backed up by evidence they disclosed to the public and those people have a long history of lying, however, I am momentarily suspending my disbelief for the purposes of debate. If we assume they are at least partially telling the truth then where does that leave us?

Comment

Of course toture is a very bad idea. The goal of terrorist organizations is to make their enemies do things like that. It helps draw sympathy to their cause.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I have been very much against the use of torture in order to gain confessions in places like Guantanamo bay

How can you be against something that never happened?
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Take it towards an extreme.

A guy is known to have planted a large bomb somewhere in the United States. His whereabouts are unknown, as is the placement of the bomb.

His 9 year old son helped him gather the materials for the bomb. His son is in custody. The boy knows where the bomb is and where his father is, but won't talk. Is it OK to beat him in an attempt to get the information? Is it OK to use other forms of duress?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Denying that the US uses torture is like denying there is a global warming crisis at hand that is threatening the very existence of humanity. Don't be so stupid Drake.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                I have been very much against the use of torture in order to gain confessions in places like Guantanamo bay

Drake is a funny ****er! The sad part is he isn't trying to be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  I wonder how many lives must an act of torture save before we consider it an acceptable trade off.
                  It is never an acceptable trade off.

Comment

Drake is a funny ****er! The sad part is he isn't trying to be funny.

I'd ask you for proof of (real) torture at Gitmo, but we've already had our "Oerdin is wrong, Drake is right" thread for today. No need to pile it on...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Since the administration won't disclose what it does to the public I'm afraid we must relay upon the International Red Cross which can see what occurs first hand. The International Red Cross says it is torture. Why should we not believe them or rather why should we believe people in the administration who lie so frequently.

As for Drake being right about anything important. You are a ****nut who is almost always wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        ... If we assume they are at least partially telling the truth ...
                        That is a very dangerous assumption to make.

Experts in the intelligence field keep saying that playing "good cop" is much better at getting information than playing "bad cop." Why does no one believe them.

Comment

That isn't how it works on 24
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I don't doubt that they are very bad people. But the reports of guys confessing at Guantanamo or Iraqi prisons reminds me of the old joke, where the KGB officers are leading a bear out of the forest that's screaming, "Okay, okay, I'm a rabbit!"
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

What's a few fingernails? I say if it will save one innocent life then rip and spare not. The life it saves may be your wife or child or even yours and you may never know it was saved, and those are the fingernails of a mass murderer.

Pass the pliers...
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X