Conscience and Consciousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conscience and Consciousness

Since both of these are intrinsic to the nature of being human, these are natural rights rather than civil rights, correct?

No one has any right to deprive of another person their right to their conscience and consciousness with the exception of criminals. They are to be imprisoned in violation of their free will for the safey of others.

Or, are there other situations or circumstances where one can deny another their right to conscience or consciousness with plausible moral and/or legal justification?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Are you saying that a criminal that say he has no concious memory of the act is Not Guilty?
    I would need to be thoroughly convinced.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Okay, I have to ask. What are you on, MrFun?

"Conscience" is not a right and not something you can be denied (without some sort of weird psychological intervention that's impossible at the current time). It's also certainly not something we'd want to deny criminals, given that Conscience is the inner impulse which keeps you from doing things that damage others...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Conscience and Consciousness

Originally posted by MrFun
        Since both of these are intrinsic to the nature of being human
        The former is obviously false, and the latter arguably so.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Okay, I have to ask. What are you on, MrFun?

"Conscience" is not a right and not something you can be denied (without some sort of weird psychological intervention that's impossible at the current time). It's also certainly not something we'd want to deny criminals, given that Conscience is the inner impulse which keeps you from doing things that damage others...
          Denying someone's conscience doesn't mean denying them the "inner impulse which keeps you from doing things that damage others," it refers to freedom of thought (particularly moral/religious thought). That thought could be as much "help poor people" as "kill the jews."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Are you saying that a criminal that say he has no concious memory of the act is Not Guilty?
            I would need to be thoroughly convinced.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

Comment

For that matter how do we deny criminals consciousness? We deny a very few life, but I'd suggest that Life is more of an intrinsic right than Consciousness, and thus the statement "we deny criminals consciousness" has no argumentative value, despite occasionally being true.

Comment

What sort of gay thread is this, like wtf Fun?
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Re: Re: Conscience and Consciousness

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

The former is obviously false, and the latter arguably so.

So other animals have those characteristics as well. The fact that these are not unique only to humans does not mean that they are not part of our state of being.

Comment

Denying someone's conscience doesn't mean denying them the "inner impulse which keeps you from doing things that damage others," it refers to freedom of thought (particularly moral/religious thought). That thought could be as much "help poor people" as "kill the jews."
                    That doesn't compute for me. If you mean denying freedom of thought, then say so. Conscience is not something that can be denied (at least at our current technological level) and if philosophers use the word that way, they're misusing it in my opinion.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Conscience and Consciousness

So other animals have those characteristics as well. The fact that these are not unique only to humans does not mean that they are not part of our state of being.
                      You misunderstand my objection.

Comment

Note also, I used the words "deprive right to conscience" and not "deprive conscience" in the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                          That doesn't compute for me. If you mean denying freedom of thought, then say so.
                          They are the same thing.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Conscience and Consciousness

You misunderstand my objection.

Oh, well explain then.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conscience and Consciousness

Oh, well explain then.
                              There are humans without consciences. (Though, that isn't precisely what freedom of conscience refers to.)

There are arguably humans without consciousness, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X