No announcement yet.

What’s behind the ‘new anti-Semitism’?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While AIPAC certainly isn't a global conspiracy, ala the Elders of Zion, it certainly is true that not only do they have a disproportionate amount of influence within the halls of government, they are also fairly immune to criticism. Any and all criticism of AIPAC is immediately denounced as antisemitism ala the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. The media is afraid to touch the story because the label antisemitic is poison in this country. Once it touches you, you're done. Even Jews aren't immune.

AIPAC is effectively the lobbying arm of the Likkud party. The only criticism of Israel allowed is that it isn't being forceful enough. Anyone who would advocate Labor positions in the U.S. or would quote from Ha'aretz is denounced as an enemy of Israel.

It is the third rail of American politics.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Because, as learned as they were, they were bigots. and they wanted to use a more pompous word for their bigotry to sound more scientific. Remember that the 19th century was the high time of pseudo-scientific justifications for racism.
      Also consider that as the term was coined in the 19th Century, racism against Arabs wasn't considered unacceptable. As fellow whites, European Jewry should have been immune to racism and instead been able to partake in the persecution of the lesser peoples.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Ahhh! I read half a Pekka post!

I need therapy. Give me pills.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Also consider that as the term was coined in the 19th Century, racism against Arabs wasn't considered unacceptable. As fellow whites, European Jewry should have been immune to racism and instead been able to partake in the persecution of the lesser peoples.
          What Spiff posted from wiki would point to the creators of the term antisemitism using the word to describe something they specifically advocated, not at all something they found hateful.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hm.

Comment

Having had a class with Walt and havig spoke in person with Mearshimer, calling them antisemites is absurd.

One thing from the article confused me: WTF is the "moral authority of the Holocaust"????
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Maybe because the only semite people living among Europeans were Jews.
                They weren't too learned if they didn't know most semites aren't Jews.

Anti-semite has historically, since the 19th century was applied only to the Jews.

To have a superficial semantical argument about this is stupid.
                When people are accused of anti-semitism and they are semites, it aint a semantical argument.

Why are you an idiot?
                Thats all you got...impressive... Calling Arabs anti-semitic is pretty idiotic.

Seriously, Berz, you're pressing a ridiculous line of argument. Yes, Arabs are semites.
                Not according to the definition people here insist on using.

The term is idomatic, not literal.
                Like that aint lost on the millions of semitic people who aren't Jews?

But it is an older (admittedly faulty) term that has survived.
                I pointed out the fault, why that inspires the BS in this thread is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  WTF is the "moral authority of the Holocaust"????
                  At a time when the values and identity of the West are in a state of flux and confusion, the one solid moral baseline we have is the Holocaust. This can partly be seen in the regularity with which Godwin's law is asserted.

Despite the steps made towards establishing Israel prior to WW2, and whatever one thnks of that cause personally, the Holocaust enhanced the case for a place for Jewish people to live in safety from the existential threat of extermination.

What the author seems to be saying is that by accusing Israel of Nazi-like behaviour itself, the WW2 experienced is being reversed so that the moral compass points away from this attempt to provide a haven for Jews, rather than towards it.

Next : WTF is a 'moral compass'?

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                    When people are accused of anti-semitism and they are semites, it aint a semantical argument.
                    From wiki, again...
                    Despite the use of the prefix "anti," the terms Semitic and anti-Semitic are not directly opposed to each other (unlike similar-seeming terms such as anti-American or anti-Hellenic). To avoid the confusion of the misnomer, many scholars on the subject (such as Emil Fackenheim) now favor the unhyphenated antisemitism[9] in order to emphasize that the word should be read as a single unified term, not as a meaningful root word-prefix combination.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

So are they still trying to play the Holocaust card to claim that the Israeli state is above criticism? Whatever good will Israel had has now completely evaporated. Welcome to being like the rest of the world!
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        So are they still trying to play the Holocaust card to claim that the Israeli state is above criticism? Whatever good will Israel had has now completely evaporated. Welcome to being like the rest of the world!
                        No they're not, but people like you are accusing them of this.

Comment

From wiki, again...
                          That cleared it up And millions of non-Jews are still classified as semites, so are they anti-semitic if they dont like Jews?

Comment

That cleared it up And millions of non-Jews are still classified as semites, so are they anti-semitic if they dont like Jews?
                            According to this sense of the word, yes. They can coin another meaning for anti-semitic if they prefer, that's hardly unprecedented in the English language.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

They are antisemites if they don't like Jews, duh. That's the definition of the word.

I'm not aware of an anti-semitic racism (notice the hyphen), i.e a racism that goes against all semitic people, but no further. In any case, if anti-semitic racism would exist, it would be pretty absurd for a semite to support it.

Just like it's absurd for a Jew to be an antisemite.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Just like it's absurd for a Jew to be an antisemite.
                                Between bigotry and hypocracy, it's the hypocracy that's absurd?
                                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X