PC RAM problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC RAM problem

I run Windows Me (I know, "many errors," but the guy who assembled the PC insisted on installing it as it's his fave for some reason), and had no problem with it until recently. I just scanned the entire hard drive for viruses, and it came up negative. My virus-scanner hasn't been updated for about three months now, but that's because it's been that long since it was connected to the net. So the scanner should be adequate, right? Actually, that raises the question of where a virus could have come from, too, so...well, it was mostly a precaution anyway.

The problem with it is that, after running for a certain amount of time, it starts to run out of RAM. I'll try to do something (open a program, for example) and it'll say there is not enough memory for this task, please close down some programs and blah blah blah. I can then close down everything but Windows itself (including the crap the computer runs without my permission, visible from ctrl-alt-del), try again, and get the same message. The problem rapidly gets worse once it begins, to the point where I cannot use anything and have to reboot. Rebooting solves the problem (temporarily), so this isn't an emergency, it's just damned annoying.

The amount of memory consumed by the task supposedly triggering the problem seems to be irrelevant; I have had it triggered by a simple graphics program (Kodak Imaging), but most recently it balked at trying to type some characters into WordPad while I was editing pedia.txt for a scenario. I had swelled the size of pedia.txt considerably during that session, and I know WordPad can't handle files over a certain size, so that might be a factor. Who knows. It's weird, because I can do certain tasks which I'd expect to require far larger amounts of memory (such as scanning the entire C-drive, 134,000+ objects in all) without problems, but simple .exes like WordPad or MSPaint are beyond it once this happens.

Any guesses what might have caused this problem, or do I need to give more details? Thanks, all.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

How is your page file set?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Page file? How do I check that? (I know, I know, liberal arts major = stoopid. I'll walk you through a sonnet or something if for some reason you ever need it.)
      1011 1100

Comment

If my pre-Vista memory serves me right, right click on [Your] Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Advanced, and it should list the details of your page file.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Also, hit ctrl-alt-delete to open the task manager and view processes. It'll show how much memory each is using.

Comment

I've only followed through on what LS said, since my PC's not net-connected and I had to log off and go over to my room to implement his advice.

Anyway, the exact path you specified doesn't exist, but I wrote down everything that seemed at all relevant under System properties, which is what it gave me when I right-clicked My Computer and specified properties. Everything related to performance:

System Restore Disk Space 6958 MB (Maxed out)
            Read-ahead optimization full.
            All troubleshooting options unchecked, meaning new file sharing, locking semantics, long name preservation for old programs, protected mode hard-disk interrupt handling, synchronous buffer commits, 32-bit protected mode disk drivers, write-behind caching and system restore are all enabled (whew!).
            I'm letting Windows handle Virtual Memory (I have yet to hear it whir-and-grind for this, so it's probably not relevant, but FYI), and I have 448 MB of RAM total.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

EDIT: Kuci, Windows Me doesn't have the task manager. Ctrl-alt-del just brings up a list of programs running (memory use not specified) and the option to close a program, shut down or cancel. That's all.
            1011 1100

Comment

System Restore Disk Space 6958 MB (Maxed out)

needs to be reduced. 800, is it?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

EDIT: Kuci, Windows Me doesn't have the task manager. Ctrl-alt-del just brings up a list of programs running (memory use not specified) and the option to close a program, shut down or cancel. That's all.
                Right click on the "system bar" that goes along the bottom of your screen(it'll be the bar that has the "Start" button on it)

Click on task manager that way
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Sloww: Waiting for confirmation of your 800 conjecture by another PC guru before I try it myself.

Lonestar: Doesn't work. Right-clicking the taskbar brings up a bunch of options about window arrangement, toolbar preferences, the date/time setter and properties for the taskbar itself. No task manager. Luckily Dad's computer (which I'm on now) also has Me, so I can check...
                  1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Lonestar: Doesn't work. Right-clicking the taskbar brings up a bunch of options about window arrangement, toolbar preferences, the date/time setter and properties for the taskbar itself. No task manager. Luckily Dad's computer (which I'm on now) also has Me, so I can check...
                    Well, ****. I've never worked with Me so I'm kinda at a stopping point
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Setting virtual memory:

More than likely you've got something running that is a huge memory leak.

You also need hard drive space. If you are short on that...things are not good.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

AFAIK Windows ME doesn't have a full-blown task manager. Maybe try this or this or this or whatever to see what's being a memory hog. Might want to check to see if you have spyware or a virus or whatever, but if the computer isn't connected to a network then that's probably not the problem. I don't know which (if any) of those programs will do the job -- I haven't had a computer with ME installed for ages, and the 98SE installs never ran into problems.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

FWIW, Civ is a huge memory hog and won't always give it all back...

Use one of loinburger's task manager type programs, that's the best advice here for sure It's possible there's just too much installed, also, you only have 448mb ram after all.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Wait, Civ sometimes keeps RAM that's been allocated to it, even after it's done running? That would explain it; these problems started while reviving some of my old scenarios-in-perpetual-progress, and come to think of it I was frequently using Civ2 itself to see if it would accept my edits. I'd only heard about Civ4 having memory leak problems. Will those programs let me free the stolen memory, or just verify the theory? Since my PC isn't connected, it's a pain in the arse installing things from online, so I want to know before I try. Thanks, all!
                            1011 1100

Comment

Wait, Civ sometimes keeps RAM that's been allocated to it, even after it's done running?

I don't know what snoopy is talking about; I don't think that's possible

Comment

Working...
                              X