No announcement yet.

Copenhagen part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just hope he didnt listened to that Ave Maria by Caccini and performed by Inessa Galante I sent him.
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
      Anybody ever have panic attacks. I had those once. I was going crazy when I was married, because my wife was a pretty crazy drug addict and a real narcisistic *****.
      Was?! Is she dead? That would be bad for your son

Well this thread has been jacked so badly that is might as well be called the Crazy Apolyton coffeehouse thread. Extreme mental imbalance is not the same as insanity.

Oh, btw why was why was the welsh thread closed? Thread closed? I still don't understand that.
      “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

• Originally posted by laurentius
        I just hope he didnt listened to that Ave Maria by Caccini and performed by Inessa Galante I sent him.
        it may have cleansed his soul...
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• that is very possible

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by MJW
            Is she dead?
            I don't know. We haven't seen her for over a year.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Back to on topic for a change this article was in this weeks The Economist

Danish demonstrations
              Of riots and righteousness

Mar 8th 2007 | COPENHAGEN
              From The Economist print edition
              Rioting squatters v the missionary position

COPENHAGEN'S image is one of a peaceful Nordic oasis. Yet last weekend it erupted in a frenzy of violence, with masked demonstrators battling police, bonfires lit in the streets and local burghers left spluttering amid the teargas. Shop windows were smashed, cars set ablaze, a school ransacked—and almost 700 people were arrested. The riots came after the eviction of left-wing activists squatting in a youth centre called Ungdomshuset. The police, acting on a court order, staged a flamboyant dawn raid to secure the building, prompting its erstwhile squatting tenants to vent their anger in the streets.

There is more to this tale than a mere squabble over tenancy rights, however. The ousted youths, a motley lot of anarchists, autonomists, punks, Marxists, and vegans, had occupied the building since 1982, when the city let them in to keep them off the streets. Ungdomshuset evolved into a music venue and a hub of leftist activism. Locals grumbled about loud music and graffiti, but the police were happy. Then the council decided to sell. The buyer was Faderhuset, a conservative Christian sect led by Ruth Eversen, a firebrand evangelist preacher.

Ms Eversen says that God told her to buy the house. “God often tells me to do things,” she claims. Her mission is to return Denmark to the Christian path, starting in Norrebro, the district that houses not just the Ungdomshuset but also many Muslims. Ms Eversen has not revealed if she was also acting on God's orders when she decided to demolish the building within hours of gaining vacant possession.

The protesters suspect that the city may have deliberately sold their home to their ideological antithesis. A small crowd with studs in their noses and tears in their eyes watched unhappily as bulldozers demolished it. “I feel I'm being squeezed out. There's no room for my culture any more,” said one teenager.

The government has stayed well clear of the row. But there are echoes from the past, even so. One of Anders Fogh Rasmussen's first moves when he became centre-right prime minister in 2001 was to shut down various agencies whose opinions he disliked. He also tried to “normalise” Christiania, a freewheeling Copenhagen district that favours soft drugs and alternative lifestyles. Ungdomshuset has a history of left-wing agitation: International Women's Day was proclaimed there in 1910 and visitors included Lenin and Rosa Luxembourg. Whatever Mr Fogh Rasmussen's views of Ms Eversen's crusade, he will not shed any tears over the house's razing.

Interestingly a paper such as The Economist voices same critisism the "left-wing nuts" did here. This only further strengthens my conception of us being more to the center-left while this site is infested with far-right zealots.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• I think it's pretty clear that she did this because she thinks she is on a mission from God. This is the kind of **** that causes wars. I still can't believe that people dismiss this because it's legal.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                X