No announcement yet.

This is totally surreal: "21st century war: Marathas invade OBC territory...."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is totally surreal: "21st century war: Marathas invade OBC territory...."

Link

NOTE:
    Maratha - the caste of the great Shivaji. Rose to political prominence during the time of the Maratha empire.
    OBC - Other Backward Classes. Classes or castes of people who had a stake in village life (say, a piece of land, or some other holding), and thus did not migrate to the cities, and thus remained backward when compared to those classes and castes who did.

PUNE: Will the influential families like Pawars, Deshmukhs and Patils who have always taken pride in calling themselves the "real Marathas"— belonging to the shyahanav kuli clan — switch over to the backward class to reap the benefits of reservation?

This topic is being hotly debated in sociopolitical circles as instances of Marathas getting into the other backward class (OBC) are on the rise among political workers.

Ironically, the debate focuses only on the political aspects of the issue as scores of newly-elected corporators of all municipal corporations across the state face a possible disqualification as their move to opt for the OBC category has been challenged in the Bombay high court.

Krishnakant Kudale, a senior OBC leader and also the state general secretary of NCP, said, "No one is trying to foresee the serious social implications. The reservation policy will go for a toss. Our OBC quota in schools and jobs will be eaten up by the majority community."

On June 1, 2004, the state government carried out a "minor amendment" to the list of castes that have been granted the OBC status. The Kunbis, a farmer's community from the Konkan area, was listed among the OBC in the original caste reservation list.

While retaining the OBC status for Kunbis, the state also added the term "Kunbi-Maratha"in the OBC list by enacting the said amendment. In the last two years, not many recognised the importance of this amendment.
    Now that reservations have reached their theoretical limit - 50% of all seats are not allotted based on caste, not merit, and this is the maximum the constitution allows - the fights will not be to get reservations increased, but to get a share of the existing pie. 22.5% are for the SCs and STs (Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes), who are strictly defined, so you can't grab those. The remaining 27.5% are for a very vaguely defined group called the OBCs (anybody can be an OBC if they get the political clout). The fight is for this bit.

It's surreal. Everyone is fighting to prove themselves. And the prize? The title of "The Most Backward, Ever!!!" It's a race to the bottom. It's also quite comic, actually. The country is progressing, social indicators are on the rise, everything is getting slowly better, but the number of backwards is exponentially going up!

Thankfully, it can't get any worse - reservations have reached their maximum limit of 50%. The rest of the 50% is on merit.

Luckily for me, Brahmins are only 2% to 5% of the total population. Plenty of space in that 50%.

Nobody has any questions about the origins of Hindu civilisation?

Comment

I tried reading the article. My eyes glazed over.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

why should i care about this?
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Is there a mouse-headed deity Ganesh is scared of, and if so, what's its name?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

aneeshm needs to either post stuff we care about or somehow convince us to care if we dont already.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Another 21st century invasion.

The knives were not outfitted with compasses.
                B♭3

Comment

On the one hand, I could say this is a pretty ****ed up system. On the other, I don't have enough knowledge on the origins of Hindu civilization to make such a comment.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I agree, Kid. That's pretty much my reaction to the OP. I can't even begin to unravel it.

Damned furriners.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                        Nobody has any questions about the origins of Hindu civilisation?
                        Well, since you time after time shows that it's an extinct civ, this thread is actually supposed to be in the historical forum.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Why the hell can't they just abandon this whole damn caste thing? I suppose it's institutionalized, but I just can't be arsed into trying to understand it to this level.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                            Why the hell can't they just abandon this whole damn caste thing? I suppose it's institutionalized, but I just can't be arsed into trying to understand it to this level.
                            You should be very accustomed to such a society : party boss; party boss minions; the nomenklatura; higher party leaders; lower party leaders; members of the party, and in the bottom non members
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Kid,

As I understand it (not terribly well), the Caste System (as it existed in the past) is not an active (government supported/legal) system anymore. But that doesn't mean the stratification of society magically went away. The stuff aneeshm describes is a sort of political "affirmative action."

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X