New computer advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer advice...

OK, I'm looking into a new computer and figured I'd pick your guys' brains. I have a few specific questions but feel free to inject what you think is more pertinant:

1) Out of an AMD 4600+, 500+, or Intel E6300... which would you prefer and why?

2) Would you settle for a nVidia 7900 GS (just barely inside the budget) or settle for the 6150LE until you can try for a 8800 GS 340Mb($100+ outside the budget)?

3) Has anybody used the HP PersonalMedia backup drives? What are they and how did you like them?

And anything else you can help with would be great!

Thanks,
    Tom P.

Last I followed it, Intel was winning the current processor wars. The P4 was kinda crap, and I would take AMD over it. In the recent past I would take Intel. Unless things have changed a lot recently, that is probably still best.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

1) E6300 -- it's a better chip all around
      2) 7900GS -- it's better
      3) No
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, I guess I can close this thread now.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I wish you would
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Wait! What about 64-bit Vista vs. 32-bit?

And why would this thread bug you Provo?

Tom P.

Comment

Because the only thing that interests him is if it's something he can run over.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

32-bit Vista, there's no need for 64-bit unless you want >4GB of RAM
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'd actually suggest the weaker video card, unless you have money coming out of your ears like Asher here. You'll want a DX10 card as soon as you can, so no reason to buy a great card that's not DX10 designed, if you can buy a good enough card that'll last you until six months to a year when you can afford the DX10 cards.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    I'd actually suggest the weaker video card, unless you have money coming out of your ears like Asher here. You'll want a DX10 card as soon as you can, so no reason to buy a great card that's not DX10 designed, if you can buy a good enough card that'll last you until six months to a year when you can afford the DX10 cards.
                    That's what I thought too. Another $100 or so and I can get an 8800 320Mb... so I think I'm gonna wait on the vid.

Tom P.

Comment

Avoid HP in all products, that's my advice.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                      X