Logic Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Problem!

Consider the following statement: "Every day this week, if I have $10 in my pocket, then I will eat lunch at KFC."
    If this statement is false, then which of the following statements must be true?

a. I will never eat lunch at KFC this week.
    b. I will never have $10 in my pocket this week.
    c. There is a day this week when I will have lunch at KFC.
    d. There is a day this week when I will not have lunch at KFC.
    e. None of the above

Reasons for conclusions, please

Edited cos SlowwHand is too smart!
    Last edited by Gibsie; March 4, 2007, 09:48.

e
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Reasons will cost though
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

b. I will never have $10 in my pocket this week.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You ought to demand a payrise SlowwHand Although with that answer, I wouldn't recommend it
          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

The question is in future tense. "Every day this week, if I have $10 in my pocket, then I will eat lunch at KFC."

Whether intentional or not "d. There is a day this week when I did not have lunch at KFC." is past tense.

That's one out.

"a. I will never eat lunch at KFC this week."
            Maybe not quite the 10 dollars, maybe going out of town, who knows?

"c. There is a day this week when I will have lunch at KFC." Although prophetic, at least the tense is correct.

At least I have reasons, Provost Poontang.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The question suffers from really sh*t wording, but as I interpreted it was that there was a condition that if on any one day he had $10 in his pocket he would eat a KFC on that day. This statement was false, therefore, no such condition exists. Therefore it is impossible to draw any conclusion, and thus, answer e
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

You better figure it out before KH comes in and observes that "according to Archimedes' Conundrum, we need to first formulate this analysis by deducting the length of the hippopotamus of a triangle."

Comment

Lap up the pwnage, Texan
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

This example is really badly worded.

a) ino, since he could one day not go to KFC, making the statement false, but still go another day.
                    b) is stupid, since having or not having 10$ is no parameter for the truth of the statement.
                    c) can't be, because if he never has 10$, he's "allowed" not to go to KFC all week without making the statement wrong.
                    d) is closest (ignoring the wrong tempus): even if he got 10$ every day, at least once he doesn't go (which imakes the statement is false).
                    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

D doesn't have to be true if the statement is false however, as he could have $5 every day and still go. The statement isn't proved false, however, although it can still be false even if never effected.

Yeah, I'm not sure, I say E myself.

Comment

Well how can you conclude (d)? Not only is there no data regarding his financial status, there is no rule on how to apply any such data if it exists. He could have eaten there on any number of the days in that week, including none. It is impossible to conclude, (e) is the nearest answer (only because the correct answer would be the fact that it is impossible to reach a conclusion, which is none of (a) to (d))
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                          D doesn't have to be true if the statement is false however, as he could have $5 every day and still go. The statement isn't proved false, however, although it can still be false even if never effected.

Yeah, I'm not sure, I say E myself.
                          Time out, Buckwheat.
                          Your question stipulates the possession of 10 dollars.
                          If he has $9.99, that isn't 10 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Time out, Buckwheat.
                            Your question stipulates the possession of 10 dollars.
                            If he has $9.99, that isn't 10 dollars.
                            No it doesn't, it states a condition: what will happen if he has $10. Nowhere does it state that he actually does.
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

If he has. That sets a parameter.

Comment

Working...
                              X