Tell me what you know about Black holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    If it was enough to convince Fields Medalist to become mathematicians, the fact that you get to correct Spec on black holes is close to irrelevant...

I simply think you are overstating the importance of these works in motivating people...
    Well I didn't really state precisely how important it is, so it's hard for me to have overstated it.
    But say it has "some" importance.
    Isn't that enough?

Comment

• No.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Again, this can be accomplished with a book about magic pixies.
        Nah, 'cos the sort of people who read popsci don't want to read about pixies. There's another section in the book shop for that sort of people.

Now, on the subject of utility, this particular debate has a distinct lack of any. It's not like your grumpiness will prevent anyone from writing any books ...
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Bah humbug.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why not? I understood phase diagrams and how to extract work out of a heat engine before I entered high school.
            That counts as thermo?

Comment

No.
              I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

In mathematics, there is a kind of saying that the way mathematicians can contribute, "the young prove theorems and the old write books".
              Of course, in this context, books include both "popular" ones and graduate level, but in both cases, the level is not research level. The point being that the community recognizes that this process is important for the future.

From what I know, this is also what most of the community thinks in science, that these books are important.

I sort of wonder what kind of motivation you think people like Feynman have when they write books full of **** like QED.
              From what I know about him, I doubt he was in it for the fame and fortune.
              He must have thought it served an important purpose.

Comment

• @Kuci: That's classical phenomenological thermo.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• I always hated popsci books, prefering to read the real thing later.

Doin't know about how I feel about others reading them. I do hate someone trying to explain to me about something that I understand better than they do but that I don't understand fully.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It was fine, but also full of ****. I read it when I was already doing my BSc.

I enjoyed his other books better (autobiographical ones)
                    Surely you are joking Mr Feynman was great!

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                    X