Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

If you'd bothered to read my previous posts you would have seen this one:

I got into physics through popular books on astronomy (~5 years old) and later from science fiction.

I read A Brief History when I was 13 or so. I had the sneaking suspicion that wheelchair-bound bastard was lying to me, and I found out later I was right.
    Bah, if you want to use that tone...

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
    I don't want to dwell too long on your case, because it may not be generic and you can say anything anyway.

[/q]
    I did read all your posts.

Comment

It was fine, but also full of ****. I read it when I was already doing my BSc.

I enjoyed his other books better (autobiographical ones)
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I did not read a popular book on modern physics until I was well and truly interested in the field already. And every time I did read one I was really annoyed by it, not interested.
        As I said before, you were not the target audience at all.

Comment

Honestly, kids' science books about classical physics were much more formative for me. I loved **** about geometric optics, thermodynamics etc.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If a blackhole were inverted, would it destroy the universe?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme

As I said before, you were not the target audience at all.
              I thought you were claiming that the major target audience was the crop of possible future scientists?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I doubt any kids' book on thermo would be worthwhile as a pedagogical tool either.

Comment

Why not? I understood phase diagrams and how to extract work out of a heat engine before I entered high school.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I thought you were claiming that the major target audience was the crop of possible future scientists?
                    I claimed it was to get people interested.
                    You said you were already interested.
                    In any case KH, you should know that your personal experience is only anecdotal in the end.
                    I brought you up because I assumed it was similar to most people I know or read about. If it's not, fine.
                    You didn't respond to my two posts about the general situation:
                    "But there are many examples, in both our fields for example, of top researchers who have admitted being inspired by this type of publications when younger.
                    Just this fact is enough justification that they fill an important role no?
                    If it was enough to convince Fields Medalist to become mathematicians, the fact that you get to correct Spec on black holes is close to irrelevant...

Such books induce a "wow this field is cool" feel in some people, and will make some of these seek further (proper) understanding of the field.

This is not just my opinion, it is a very well commented on phenomena in science, and most people deem it crucial to the strength of future generations of scientists."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lul Thyme
                      In any case KH, you should know that your personal experience is only anecdotal in the end.
                      Obviously.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Obviously.
                        I know but in the last page you only replied to comments referring to you , and skipped the general ones so I wanted to get back on track

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

My point is the wasted effort on the parts of both the scientist writing the book and the person reading it.

If that's all people can get out of the books then that's all the books should say.

I'm against wordiness in science for the sake of wordiness.
                          It's not a waste of effort if the scientist gets more money and the reader gets more satisfaction out of it.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• If it was enough to convince Fields Medalist to become mathematicians, the fact that you get to correct Spec on black holes is close to irrelevant...

I simply think you are overstating the importance of these works in motivating people...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Lul Thyme
                              and skipped the general ones so I wanted to get back on track
                              I doubt this issue has been studied in any sort of statistically significant way. That's why I'm responding anecdotally.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist

It's not a waste of effort if the scientist gets more money and the reader gets more satisfaction out of it.
                                Again, this can be accomplished with a book about magic pixies.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X