What's wrong with this picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
    the process that satellite pics go under is really interesting and can cause many distortions in the visible picture, in order to make it geographically correct.
    Which is more common for Google maps though, satellite imagery or aerial photographs? I would think aerial, as it's cheaper and easier to get a larger quantity of high res data that way. Or do you use the term interchangeably in this instance?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
      Sirotnikov, could you give a link to info on how sats take photos of the Earth? I have been wanting to read up on it
      sadly i don't have good english resources on it.
      i'll try to find some.

this seems interesting (Though long, and gets a bit boring later) http://www.usace.army.mil/publicatio...-1000/c-10.pdf

Esri’s GIS mapping software is the most powerful mapping & spatial analytics technology available. Learn how businesses are using location intelligence to gain a competitive advantage.

Originally posted by Dauphin
      Which is more common for Google maps though, satellite imagery or aerial photographs? I would think aerial, as it's cheaper and easier to get a larger quantity of high res data that way. Or do you use the term interchangeably in this instance?
      I've got no idea bob.

I'd assume that most of the pictures are satellite pictures, with like 2% of it (some of the populated areas) being aerial photographs. Most satellite images can't give the quality displayed for many of the city terrain.

I remember reading that google rented a plane a month or two ago to rescan parts of sydney or mellbourne, and it was all over the internet: "come pose for google earth"

Comment

Diffraction limitation is a myth to make people feel safer

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
        Most satellite images can't give the quality displayed for many of the city terrain.
        Don't talk nonsense, if satellites can read the headlines off of newspapers they can make out city terrain.

Comment

Re: Diffraction limitation is a myth to make people feel safer

Originally posted by Dauphin

Don't talk nonsense, if satellites can read the headlines off of newspapers they can make out city terrain.
          I'm struggling here.
          I strongly suspect this is cynical. Yet I have not met a smilie.

reading newspapers from space isn't possible... yet.

Comment

Did you read the post title?

Comment

no.

Comment

Working...
              X