No announcement yet.

Where are you ancestors from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On father's side, I have records going back to the 1600's and it's all Swedish. On mother's side I know they came from the Swedish-speaking parts of Finland in the 1800's.
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

1/4 Scottish, 1/4 English and 1/2 Dutch.

Makes quite a nice drink.
      be free

Comment

Re: Where are you ancestors from

Originally posted by Oerdin
        ....from Aye Shire...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          I'm mostly English but I've got a bit of Russian and German in me, too.
          Lucky you
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Oerdin, nice to see you've got your genealodies tracing back several centuries.
            Here's mine:
            Father side - Italian. Abruzzi. The name Di Cesare is quite old, so it's quite sure to say it's been Italian for a very long time.
            Mother side - Father: Italian, orphan. Mother: French. My grandmother's father was a French orphan and her mother a woman of unknown father and an orphan French mother. A bit hard to research genealogy in this branch of the family.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

My ancestors were Viking warriors. They invaded a valley in Ireland and decided to call it home.

While that is in fact true, it's also just my most interesting ancestry. I'm actually 50% English, 25% Irish (that's where the Viking invaders are) and 25% hodge-podge of other European - I think Swedish and German, mostly.

In fairness, the male family line does lead back to a Viking settlement in Ireland (my grandfather on my fathers side was 100% irish). My family has an emblem which basically traces back there meaning I'm more Viking by heritage than genetics, even then it may be a pretty tenuous connection, but hey, Vikings are cool .

Comment

Mostly English, with dashes of Scottish, Welsh, Breton and Romany.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

They're all English as far as I can tell quite a long way back...although my paternal grandfather seems to originate from Cornwall...it seems to be where his, my dad's and consequently, my dark hair colour come from.
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

IIRC I'm 1/16 polish and 15/16 danish, but I don't feel like a dane
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Mine's a mixed bag of jumbled genetics. My dad's side is Irish and ended up in the UK via Wales and Cornwall. Mum's side traces its ancestry up to Scotland, over to Ireland and ultimately back to the Dutch who came over with/following William of Orange.

This is all family talk though and not actually verified.
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

As far as I know all are Jews from Eastern Europe.
                        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Half Breton, half Romanian Jewish.

The details are very spotty about anything beyond my great-grandparents.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                            My ancestors were Viking warriors.
                            As were mine. The name "Triggs" is Norse for "true" and, apparently, the original Triggs was sailing along the south coast of England for a spot of rape and pillage, when he decided he liked the look of Somerset/Cornwall and settled down there.

On my mother's side I'm descended from Cossacks. You might think that I would be a violent, bloodthirsty person but, actually, I've only inherited the "love of alcohol" gene from both sides of the family.

Comment

Ethiopia.

More seriously: Bavaria, Styria, Slovenia (more important); Hungary and Czech Rep. (small input), from what I know.
                              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Mostly England from my father's side. One of his ancestors was a cabin boy on the Sarah Constance , the main ship of Christopher Newport's fleet in 1607. Unfortunately we can't really claim to be Jamestown originals because after a year in the colonies he went back to England. He was the only cabin boy to survive that first brutal winter at Jamestown. His grandson immigrated to Virginia in the 1650s after having been exiled to Barbados for something he did during the English Civil War. My mother's side is Sotch-Irish, they came over in the 1890s. Her family's surname BTW is Bond.

On my father's side we're related to 2 American presidents, Mark Twain and Lady Astor. We're also related to some frontier notables. One of my ancestors is responsible for adding the Northwest Territories to the nascent United States, the other was on the Louisiana Territory expedition.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X